The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Sat Apr 08 2017, 09:46

My odd US Navy collection grows with this Minicraft Tracker in 1/72. It is a nicely detailed kit with nice decals. I have to figure out how to paint this model and at what point during the construction to do the major painting. It is Gull Grey over White, but there are many details to mask around...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Sat Apr 08 2017, 11:19

That's a nice kit, Tom. I also have it: mine was bought second-hand and someone had already done some conversion work to make a Canadian variant. Fortunately they did a good job of the modifications, so it awaits final assembly and painting. I'm currently building its more recent successor, the S-3A Viking, during which I'll face some of the same masking/painting issues you mentioned. I'm looking forward to seeing your Tracker built, will you be using the kit decals?

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Sat Apr 08 2017, 15:59

I have a Viking kit too. Figured I would give this one a shot first. The decals look pretty good, so I will try using them. They will get some Krylon coating beforehand. I am pretty boring...lol.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Sun Apr 23 2017, 07:38

The kit is progressing slowly due to other projects and outdoor needs. I have the interior finished and put the fuselage halves together. It will require a little seam shaving and sanding. Not bad overall in the fit department.

I put the wings together and took a while sanding the wings and fuselage to get them to fit. The assembly is very tight, requiring sanding to get the wings to sit properly on the fuselage.

Next step, getting the engines and nacelles together. A nice kit so far....

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Sun Apr 23 2017, 09:22

Looking forward to seeing this one progress!

Another I'd love to see in diecast. What Squadron will you be finishing it in Tom?
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Sun Apr 23 2017, 10:49

I built this one a long time ago - I remember it having to be sanded for the wings to fit - so you're right on target there Tom.

I also remember this one being incredibly tail-heavy! I used lead weights in the nose and it still sat on its butt. I hope you packed weight everywhere forward of the wings. If not, you may want to make something to support the tail end up.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Mon Apr 24 2017, 17:40

11sqnldr, I will use the decals that came with the kit, I guess. I haven't really researched the unit yet. I will post a shot of the decals and see what input I get. It would be a cool plane in diecast. I would buy one for sure!

PM, I forgot nose weights completely until I noticed the note in the instructions after I put the fuselage together. Oh well.

I guess I can make a tail support rod out of clear scrap when I finish the model, that or mount it on a stand. I have quite a few of the Airfix bases I can use.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Sat Apr 29 2017, 07:07

Slow going still. I assembled the nacelles and installed them. A bit of filling and sanding now, just to get seams even. I will leave the cowls off until I actually paint the plane.

Here is the decal sheet. The US Navy decals are for VS-21, a "Sea Control Command" unit that performs anti submarine warfare.

The decals are older and will get some Krylon coating before I try to use them...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Sun Apr 30 2017, 09:35

Built to the painting stage. I will leave the tires and landing gear off till after painting. The canopy has mostly painted areas, with small windows to be masked out before painting.

I ordered an Eduard masking set specifically for this model, so I am waiting for that before proceeding. The protrusion on the wing is a 7 million candlepower search light that is covered with a clear dome which is also being left off until the model is painted.

I plan on mounting some added missiles and/or depth charges on the six hard points located on the wings. The kit didn't include any. The real plane also has two internal torpedo bays.

A nice kit so far. A bit dated when it comes to fitting together. I have done quite a bit of shaving, filling and sanding in many small areas of the model...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Sun Apr 30 2017, 09:52

It's coming along nicely. Seeing your pictures is bringing back lots of memories. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed build. Good stuff

pmmaker

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Mon May 01 2017, 00:32

This is a nice aircraft to model Tom. I look forward to seeing the end results. Very Happy

CalFire converted a large number of these to aerial tankers for fire fighting. We see them a lot in that roll here in Northern CA.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Tue May 02 2017, 08:55

Right, I recall seeing them when I googled the plane on line. I remember seeing old movies from the 70's or 80's showing old B-17s being used in California as fire tankers.

Firefighting planes would make an interesting build topic sometime.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Sun May 07 2017, 08:58

The undersides are painted white now. I am waiting for a mask set for the canopy before I do the full grey topside color. In the meantime, I am filling in around the canopy and sanding the seam down the middle of the canopy...

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Thu May 11 2017, 00:20

Looks great, Tom. Was the canopy split into two halves? I hate that when I get a kit.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker   Thu May 11 2017, 05:56

Yes, two parts! They fit together well enough. Hopefully the seam will disappear with some sanding and filing....

Tom

Minicraft Grumman S2F-1 Tracker
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next