The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Migrant

PostSubject: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Tue Apr 18 2017, 09:48

I'd expected some common tooling between this and the 109G I built, but it was a completely different kit. Just as enjoyable to build though, with the same sharp tooling and great fit of parts. The cockpit had slightly more detail, but I still used paper inserts for the sidewalls.

The Emil was also finished in captured markings, but RAF this time (I liked the yellow undersides). My references only showed one side of the aircraft which showed the swastika had been painted back to front on the starboard side. I later found pics showing the other side, on which it had been applied correctly. The paintwork had also been touched up in numerous places with a much lighter paint.

The only downside I found to the kit was the slightly heavy canopy framing (which also applied to their 'G' model), but otherwise it's a great little kit.

Last edited by Migrant on Tue Jul 04 2017, 14:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Thu Apr 20 2017, 05:46

I really like this kit!  I'm going to have to get back to mine and finally finish it - been sitting there staring at me for 6 months.  

This built is SWEET!  A captured plane in a very colorful scheme.  That yellow always contrasts the RAF dark earth / dark green camouflage nicely.  The added panels for the cockpit are a nice touch, as are the reversed swastikas and the "just right" chipping.  The whole model just looks like the real thing.  Excellent build as always Mike!

pmmaker

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Thu Apr 20 2017, 09:09

Thanks pmm, it really is a nice little kit. I seem to remember you saying yours was destined for a desert scheme: can't wait to see it Good

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Sun Apr 23 2017, 10:51

Migrant wrote:
Thanks pmm, it really is a nice little kit. I seem to remember you saying yours was destined for a desert scheme: can't wait to see it Good

I'm working on it now.  Once it is built and photographed, I'll add my photos to this thread.

pmmaker

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Sun Apr 23 2017, 15:03

So nicely done. I really like this how this turned out. Any idea why the swastikas were left on at all? Let alone left on the RAF tail flash?
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Sat Apr 29 2017, 08:01

Cool paint scheme! Nothing like taking a simple kit and ending up with a complex, detailed and well painted work of art!

The EZ kits are a nice diversion when you have the urge to complete something in limited time. I have a few that I built, but want to build again as a way of honing skills and making the next one better.

Thanks for the great looking inspiration!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Sun Apr 30 2017, 09:24

I had started this one last summer but I lost interest and it sat around gathering dust for months. Migrant's exceptional build got my creative juices flowing, so I spent a few hours getting this one finally done. Nowhere in the same league as Mike's beautiful build, but still not a bad effort.

Camouflage was done using Tamiya "green" pastel dabbed over a RLM "desert sand" base coat. Decals were from the kit except the Red "2" which was taken off a spare kit's sheet. A coat of flat Krylon was applied to dull the finish.

I like the Hobby Boss philosophy of having pre-built components. These go together rather nicely and offer us a "quick" build opportunity.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Sun Apr 30 2017, 09:38

Wow, really nice PM! The black and white shots are cool. How did you do the camo "smudging" along the fuselage and wing tops? I know you discussed it before, but that was on the old forum, and no longer there.

Very nice!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Sun Apr 30 2017, 10:00

TomMarkert wrote:
How did you do the camo "smudging" along the fuselage and wing tops? I know you discussed it before, but that was on the old forum, and no longer there.

Tom

Thanks Tom.  I like to have "soft" edging on German and some Japanese camouflage mottling.  I just don't have an airbrush or the skill to do this effect correctly by hand painting.  Instead, I use my Tamiya pastels and the small foam applicator brush that comes with the pastels.  I rub the brush onto the pastel and then use small circular motions to create the mottling.  Varying the pressure creates different finishes.

The next time I do one of these finishes, I'll take pictures and then post a tutorial explaining how I do this.

pmmaker

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Mon May 01 2017, 00:34

Your version came out really well PMM. I have the Corgi version and yours would look right at home alongside it.
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Mon May 01 2017, 09:10

Lovely result PMM, looks great in desert camo. The Matchbox 109 came in similar markings which I built when I was about 14. I didn't have an airbrush at the time so used a dry-brush technique for the mottling – it didn't look anything like as convincing as your pastel approach. A tutorial would be useful Good stuff (One small point, I think you may have the undercarriage doors transposed.)

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Mon May 01 2017, 10:39

Migrant wrote:
Lovely result PMM, looks great in desert camo. The Matchbox 109 came in similar markings which I built when I was about 14. I didn't have an airbrush at the time so used a dry-brush technique for the mottling – it didn't look anything like as convincing as your pastel approach. A tutorial would be useful Good stuff  (One small point, I think you may have the undercarriage doors transposed.)

I thought so too! They look funky the way they are on there. But when I switched them, they didn't line up at all and did not cover the gear struts like they we supposed to. I have to pry them off and try again.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4   Tue May 02 2017, 08:48

Thanks for the re-instruction about the camo technique, PM. I have to try that. I do have a airbrush and compressor, but I am too lazy to set it up. Maybe it will get used this summer as I can set it up in the garage.

Nice catch on the landing gear doors, Mike. I never would have noticed that... cyclops

Tom

HobbyBoss 1/72 Bf109 E-4
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1