The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Sun Apr 30 2017, 07:20

When it comes to "Thunderbird", I have to agree with you!  I'd have to pay up to get that one in the collection.

As to "Little Miss Mischief" - not so much a "must buy" for me as I have an excellent Academy B-17G kit and my Kits World Little Miss Mischief decal sheet sitting in the "I've got to make it someday" stash pile.  I need time and inspiration to tackle that job in order to do it right.

I hope that AF1 at some point either changes this mold or creates a new one to make a B-17E/F.  I'd like to see an early Coastal Command painted model and some of the other 8th and 15th AF planes that need to be done.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
daveyator

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Sun Apr 30 2017, 23:48

I don't feel critised at all Tom and enjoy the discussion. AF1 will have to do better. As PM pointed out the cowlings are marginal at best and just plain wrong at worst. And yes the top turret is too far back based on some of my B-17 materials. I'm jealous of you having Sentimental Journey. I might pay a fair amount for that one.

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Mon May 01 2017, 14:05

daveyator wrote:
I don't feel critised at all Tom and enjoy the discussion. AF1 will have to do better. As PM pointed out the cowlings are marginal at best and just plain wrong at worst. And yes the top turret is too far back based on some of my B-17 materials. I'm jealous of you having Sentimental Journey. I might pay a fair amount for that one.

Corgi's Sentimental Journey is my only B-17 and was worth every penny.

Dan
Cool

Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Mon May 01 2017, 16:30

I would love to have that one too! I built the 1/48 Monogram version of the same plane...

I do have the AF1 Doolittle B-25 and I like it. I considered their P-61 but the fixed dorsal turret was kind of a drawback, so I bought model kit of it instead.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Tue May 02 2017, 19:37

daveyator wrote:
Captain Eddie wrote:
Daveyator, thanks for the review.  The important thing here is if YOU are happy with your purchase, and obviously you are.  

I have four Corgi B-17's, purchased years ago for between $30 (dumps at Tuesday Morning) and $50 each.  I like them.....but they are not perfect.  But, they look like B-17's, and that is what is important to me.

Totally happy might be a strong word. Accepting of something for what it is might be more like it. My other collection is 1/400 airliners. Some are really good, some so so and some of course are awful. But sometimes you get a so so one because its the only one in those markings or you simply got it for dirt cheap. There is a model of a Delta 767 in the marking of one the employees bought for the company at one point that I decided I wanted. Gemini Jets made a version but they would usually cost $40, $50 or even more and frankly I didn't want it that bad. Dragon Wings makes on also but they are not as well thought of because their models often use excessive plastic parts including the wings. But there I was at a show and ran across the DW one for $15. I got it because it was cheap and still adequate. Do you mean that store called Tuesday Morning? I didn't know die cast would show up there. A couple of other random thoughts. Corgi is a European (I think even British) company. So I wonder if they put more zeal or emotion or whatever in their renditions of things. Maybe using multiple sources or pictures or whatever. Sometimes I think Japanese renditions of things are emotionless so to speak. They might get the actual measurements or blueprints or whatever and try to simply make an exact copy of whatever it is they use. But if the model doesn't exactly look its real life counterpart they just stop there. Plus maybe their renditions of Allied planes might not be um done with the most care (we were their enemies at one point). Examples might be this B-17 or how HM messed up the serial numbers on some of their mustangs. Also at least AF1 and other companies are designing and producing models for us. While it's certainly up to them to make models worth buying do we have any obligation to "support" them? Finally collecting is collecting. I noticed I have a cabinet full of HM. Thats why I was glad to get a few Marushin. Now these AF1 albeit in a scale I don't really collect. In other words without an AF1 you might not appreciate your Corgi. Having said all of that I'm enjoying the back and forth conversation.
Hi Davey, I'm Steve, I'm new here. Got a link to this forum & your review from a post about AF1's Nine o' Nine on MH3, so I thought I'd join.
You're indeed right in saying Corgi is a British company. However, their models are made in China. HM & AF1 are Chinese btw, not Japanese.
Great review!
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Wed May 03 2017, 08:38

Me thinks everything is made in China now!

Tom

Admin

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Sun May 14 2017, 09:32

Pete's Collectibles has the original Bit 'O' Lace version back on sale for $99.95 - this after they raised the price to $125 a few months ago.  Guess there wasn't a ground swell to pick this one up at that price, especially with "909" getting in stock.  no big deal I know other retailers don't have "BOL" in stock or it is available in limited numbers.  E-Bay has them still, but the pricing is generally more than $99.95, especially with shipping added in.

The "909" is back ordered at Pete's - seems they sold off whatever they got and feel they need more. pondering I am curious to see what happens to these once Pete's gets them - will they sell, or will they sit around too.  Other retailers seem to still have this model in their inventories.  It will be interesting to see if AF1 takes a break from this mold now that two are flooding into the market and addressing the "I want a 72nd scale die-cast B-17" itch or do they crank out another version in the next few months.

Still no 2nd follow-up release to their initial 72nd scale B-25.  They probably think no one is interested in the B-25, which would be an error. I'm sure the thought that their model is pretty much inaccurate and considered by many to be a piece of junk hasn't even crossed their minds.  frustrated

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
daveyator

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Sun May 28 2017, 18:50

Not meaning to keep this thread going or maybe I am lol. TFM is apparently sold out again and show a June of 2017 restock of this. Some people are obviously buying these. Does AF 1 limit their releases or ?

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Mon May 29 2017, 09:28

Not a problem keeping a thread going Dave - it keeps things fresh and up to date.

Obviously there is a rather large pent-up demand out there amoungst the WWII collecting crowd for a 72nd scale B-17. I'd wager the same could be said for the B-24. Corgi has really focused on the British heavies ( Lanc, Halifax, Stirling) and pretty much turned its back on the U.S. market.

Along comes AF1 with its model. It sort of resembles a B-17 and it's in a desired scale. Add a couple of popular schemes and all those collectors who could not buy a Corgi model for the ridiculously unrealistic prices being asked on the secondary market will definitely bite.

In my view, Hobby Master (for whatever reason) missed out on a golden opportunity to really make a killing. Now AF1 has the corner pretty much to themselves for a U.S. WWII heavy bomber. I'm not aware of AF1 "limiting" the numbers. I think they will follow the old "if you buy them, we will make them" manufacturing model. The B-17 seems to sell well. The B-25 did not. I wonder if they'll take a gamble and try their hand on a B-24.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Mon May 29 2017, 09:28

That's okay. It is an interesting thread.

I think the AF-1 B-17s have excellent "curb appeal" as I have heard people talking about buying them. They are very attractive and many people do like them.

It is when "more serious" collectors encounter them, the negative detail awareness surfaces. I may end up with one yet. I would like a bare metal version much like the Corgi version pictured above.

An interesting subject, especially when there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of new offerings these days.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Mon May 29 2017, 09:53

TomMarkert wrote:
That's okay. It is an interesting thread.

I think the AF-1 B-17s have excellent "curb appeal" as I have heard people talking about buying them. They are very attractive and many people do like them.

It is when "more serious" collectors encounter them, the negative detail awareness surfaces. I may end up with one yet. I would like a bare metal version much like the Corgi version pictured above.

An interesting subject, especially when there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of new offerings these days.

Tom

You pretty much summed it up Tom. For serious die-cast plane enthusiasts, this one has issues. For those collectors who aren't as discriminating and will accept just about anything, these models are fine and affordable. Heck, I'll freely admit that I would have bought both of the AF1 offerings if I didn't know better and did not have better examples in my collection already.

As a manufacturer, you have a tough call to make. Make an expensive model that will please the hard-core, discriminating collector, or make a model that will appeal to the more tolerant, price conscious collector. AF1 chose to go the latter route.

pmmaker

PBRStreetgang

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Thu Jun 01 2017, 03:29

Admin wrote:
Pete's Collectibles has the original Bit 'O' Lace version back on sale for $99.95 - this after they raised the price to $125 a few months ago.  Guess there wasn't a ground swell to pick this one up at that price, especially with "909" getting in stock.  no big deal I know other retailers don't have "BOL" in stock or it is available in limited numbers.  E-Bay has them still, but the pricing is generally more than $99.95, especially with shipping added in.

The "909" is back ordered at Pete's - seems they sold off whatever they got and feel they need more. pondering I am curious to see what happens to these once Pete's gets them - will they sell, or will they sit around too.  Other retailers seem to still have this model in their inventories.  It will be interesting to see if AF1 takes a break from this mold now that two are flooding into the market and addressing the "I want a 72nd scale die-cast B-17" itch or do they crank out another version in the next few months.

Still no 2nd follow-up release to their initial 72nd scale B-25.  They probably think no one is interested in the B-25, which would be an error. I'm sure the thought that their model is pretty much inaccurate and considered by many to be a piece of junk hasn't even crossed their minds.  frustrated

Allan

Out of the last six B25s released between Corgi and AF1, five have either been Doolittle Raid or Blighty B25s.

The B25 is my favourite medium bomber of the war. I, more than most am the biggest Diecast tart and I wont buy more than a couple from that lot. Hell, I resorted to FoV to get my B25 fix.

It really has been a disappointing feature of the Diecast B25,....the lack of imagination with the type.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"   Fri Jun 02 2017, 08:08

I agree with you Christian. The B-25 is one of my most beloved WWII aircraft and like you, I lament the poor way it has been handled by the die-cast companies. Corgi's short-sighted scheme choices and inaccuracies, AF1 botching the mold entirely, and the old FoV house style with sloppy panel line coloration and rubberized gun have all been sources of frustration and disappointment.

Sadly I am no longer an "active" die-cast collector. To get the models I truly want and need in my small collection, I've had to resort to my kit building skills. Die-casts cost too much for my limited funds and as mentioned, the selections I have available to me just don't meet my needs.

The same holds true for the B-17. What we have to choose from in terms of die-casts is rather disappointing.

pmmaker

AF1 B-17G Flying Fortress 1:72 "Nine O Nine"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2