The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Mon May 01 2017, 16:23

This is a model depicting a experimental interceptor the Soviets tested in the late 50's and early 60's. Not really well known, but an unusual aircraft.

I bought this model a while ago and decided to start working on it a few weeks ago. I was distracted from this project due mainly to the extremely poor fitting parts crappy instructions. I built a few other kits, but kept this one nearby, tinkering with it between builds. I finally managed to get the ill fitting cockpit into the fuselage along with the radar dome. No reference marks, nothing as to where the proper fit would be located.

I had to use heavy clamps to get the fuselage halves tight enough to glue them together. There were still extensive gaps along the seams, requiring tons of filling. Once the halves were together, I set out fitting four small "filets" that made up the upper and lower sections of the intakes. It took over an hour fitting and filling before they looked decent.

Next was the wings and rudder. More ill fitting pieces requiring a lot of shaving, sanding and testing. Once the wings were on, a fair amount of putty was needed to fill the wing roots. Same with the rudder.

You can see in the photo the gap at the front edge of the rudder. That will be filled and sanded, just as the wings were. Notice too, the amount of plastic shavings from the fitting process. It is almost like carving out a plane...

More soon!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Wed May 03 2017, 01:30

What an unusual aircraft. Why is it the really cool and unique models seem to come from some of the worst companies? Rolling Eyes (no answer needed btw, I know).

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it. What a Face
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Wed May 03 2017, 08:31

Thanks, PW. I bought it because it looked unusual. Bad move...lol.

Normally these A-Models have tons of little details that need to be assembled but this one doesn't have them. Instead it had a cockpit that didn't fit into the fuselage and a nose cone that had to be assembled and shoved into the opening ahead of the cockpit. All with no reference marks or pins. Ughhh.

I have it set aside once more as I am working on painting my Grumman Tracker. I actually have a Monogram 1/72 B-52 on deck...it will likely get priority over this Sukhoi when I finish the Tracker....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Sun May 07 2017, 08:46

The fuselage and wing assemblies are complete. More seam filling and sanding on the way. I sanded and fit the canopy as I waited for new putty to dry. All the fuselage details are added. The landing gear doors are on the front well and the main gear will be left off till after I paint the fuselage....

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Tue May 09 2017, 10:13

I skipped along to painting the plane before adding most of the details...

Landing gear is on. Rest of details going on now. Also doing some fine seam filling using white glue. The canopy is shaped to match the fuselage and masked for painting...

Finally, everything on and details painted. The whole assembly get a shot of clear coat now...

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Wed May 10 2017, 08:39

Knowing what you started with, that's pretty impressive Tom. I hope the decals are better produced than the rest of the kit.

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Wed May 10 2017, 11:33

Thanks, Mike. The decals are okay, but I need to give them a coat of Krylon. There are a ton of stenciled data decals...making up for the crappy build...lol.

After all the work, this plane has a very flat look to it. No weapons or any other add on details. This model,will definitely get a black panel line wash.

This build has turned into a quest to just finish it! My Tracker is begging for attention...lol.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Thu May 11 2017, 00:18

Your build is coming along nicely Tom. After seeing your thread I had to Google a T-49 and read about it and the model. Interesting concept that didn't really work well. And the kit you are building seems to be fraught with problems so you are not alone.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Thu May 11 2017, 06:27

Thanks, PW. I have admit I bought the kit just because I liked the look of the plane. To achieve the look was almost more trouble than it was worth.

The real plane had a Isentropic intake system....what ever the hell that is...lol. I am doing decals on this bird now. I can't wait to finish it.

A dull yet complex kit all rolled into one!

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Thu May 11 2017, 09:28

Well, here it is. It turned out okay. What a crappy kit. Glad I am done with it!

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Thu May 11 2017, 09:34

Ugly airplane, crappy kit – but a nice result So, would you build another A-model kit after that experience?

PostSubject: Re: A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72   Thu May 11 2017, 21:31

Thank you, Mike. I have built a few, but they get harder with the more intricate planes. I had a couple I sold off and I still have three in my stash. All coldwar Soviet planes.

I was going to do a panel line wash on this, but frankly, I am tired of expending energy on a plane that has taken so much effort to get mediocre results. Maybe I will do it later...

I considered an A-Model TU-95 Bear Bomber in 1/72, but after a few A-Model experiences, I picked up the Trumpeter version instead.

Tom

A-Model Sukhoi T-49 1/72
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1