The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW:Hobby Master US Navy Lockheed S-3A Viking "Topcats",VS-31 USS Independence

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW:Hobby Master US Navy Lockheed S-3A Viking "Topcats",VS-31 USS Independence   Sat Feb 18 2017, 22:24

Hobby Master 1/72 Air Power Series
HA4903
US Navy Lockheed S-3A Viking
BuNo 159769, VS-31 "Topcats"
USS Independence

July 2016 Release

Production Limited 1,000 Units

Hobby Master's third S-3 Viking Release and second S-3A version.

A very attractive scheme and in my opinion - too good to resist. This is just an iconic Viking scheme. Light Gull Grey with white undersides, tan nose radome, and black painted cockpit. An absolute must for the US Navy collection.

All the parts of my model fit together very well and the quality of the paint was flawless. Hobby Master has also corrected the angle of the main gear doors compared to the first release.

Some controversy with this release as the rainbow colours on the tail are based on a decal set that wasn't entirely correct. However I believe that this is something that most collectors would never even notice. Photos of the actual aircraft also don't show the yellow wing leading edges, however there is nothing to say that the aircraft never had them at some point.

Overall a good model. An iconic Viking scheme. Recommended.

Dan
Wink

Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW:Hobby Master US Navy Lockheed S-3A Viking "Topcats",VS-31 USS Independence   Sun Jul 30 2017, 10:27

Looks really nice, and I for one would not have noticed the error in the sunburst colours. I actually have the CAM decal sheet on which this is based, I'll have to try and find reference photos to compare with as I'm currently building the Hasegawa 1/72 kit.

REVIEW:Hobby Master US Navy Lockheed S-3A Viking "Topcats",VS-31 USS Independence
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1