The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tamiya 1/700 Waterline: HMS Nelson

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Tamiya 1/700 Waterline: HMS Nelson   Sat May 06 2017, 01:37

Here's my second build in the world of model shipbuilding. It is one of my favorite ship designs, that being the British Royal Navy's Nelson Class battleships. I really like how they look.

Nelson Class Battleships

Two Nelson Class battleships were built under the terms of the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922. The treaty was signed by most of the WWI Allied Powers and put limitations on the construction of capital ships. Using lessons it learned in the WWI Battle of Jutland, the Royal Navy (RN) decided upon placing a massive amount of firepower on their battleships. Such ships were limited in size, under the Treaty, to no more than 35,000 tons displacement and guns no larger 16-inches. So the RN decided to place nine 16-inch guns in three triple-turrets (3 guns each) - all in the front of the ship, ahead of the bridge. This is what gave the HMS Nelson and Rodney, the two Nelson Class ships, their unusual profile. Both ships were commissioned in 1927.

The increased main armament came at a cost of speed and maneuverability. Both ships were equipped turbines powering only two propellers. This gave them a maximum speed of only 23 knots. The design also made them difficult to steer in high winds owing to the superstructures toward the rear of the ship. Another weight saving measure was the use of fir trees for the decking instead of teak wood. This is why the decks of these two ships were of lighter color than was normal for ships of the period.

Along with the 16-inch main guns, the Nelson Class battleships carried 12 6-inch guns (6 dual turrets), 6 120mm AA gun batteries, 6 8-gun 40mm AA batteries (PomPom guns), and two torpedoes (in tubes BELOW the waterline!). The HMS Rodney was also equipped with floatplane.

Both ships made good accounts of themselves throughout WWII. The HMS Rodney may be the more famous owing to its part in the sinking of the German battleship Bismarck. In fact, it scored a hit on the Bismarck with one of its torpedoes (and is thought to be the only battleship to have done so). Both ships survived WWII but were, unfortunately, scrapped in before 1950.

Tamiya 1/700 Water Line Series (kit # 77504)

I admit I didn't do a great job documenting this build. I really should have so you could see what a nice kit this was. The instructions are well done and easy to follow. The parts were, for the most part, nicely done (except for mold lines and ejection marks on the gun turrets!). Tamiya even includes a 2.2 ounce steel bar in the kit to glue into the "water line" base and give the model some extra heft - and that it does! The only other negatives I have for the kit include: poor color callouts, no flag or ship name decals, and no rigging diagrams (aside from a very general pic). Aside from that this is a great kit.

Where I didn't do so well was in my paint and glue work. I need to improve a great deal as "small" mistakes take on greater importance in this small scale. Also, I did what I could with the rigging (and thank you Tom for your encouragement), but ended up breaking the foremast in the process of trying to move my ham-hands around the delicate antennas. So I had to glue a steel wire alongside the mast (making it thicker) so it could stand the rigging I was trying to attach to it. Paint went on thick at times, thin at other times. I don't know why, but I just couldn't seem to get the paint thickness correct.

But once completed it looked pretty good alongside my previous build of the German destroyer. Smart ass I hope you like it, but please feel free to offer any help or suggestions for future builds.

Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/700 Waterline: HMS Nelson   Sat May 06 2017, 06:53

Holy Cow! And you were worried about rigging? You went above and beyond with that job. Really nice work, especially on a smaller scale.

I never built a Nelson class ship but I always liked the odd look they had. It is interesting that a large class ship of that era appears to have no spotting aircraft. Did they have a hanger on board or did this ship just not have one?

Again, really nice work, PW. You are gonna need more display space as your fleet grows...you're hooked!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/700 Waterline: HMS Nelson   Sat May 06 2017, 12:48

Thanks Tom, I really appreciate it. It was one of those "one thing leading to another" moments. Embarassed

And yes,I am hooked and I have already moved models around in my one enclosed bookcase for them. Very Happy

Only the HMS Rodney had aircraft. The catapult was mounted on one of the turrets and was used to launch the ship's Swordfish (initial aircraft) and later Walrus float-planes. Here's some pics:

Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/700 Waterline: HMS Nelson   Sun May 07 2017, 07:57

Don't worry. Ship are not as demanding as airplnes, space wise.

Interesting how the Nelson didn't have a plane and the Rodney did. I bet there is some technical reason for it, like the Nelson had more modern radar or something like that.

Again, nice rigging on the ship. It is much more than I could have done!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/700 Waterline: HMS Nelson   Sun May 07 2017, 08:24

That is superb work PW, I'm seriously impressed. How did you paint all those tiny grey details on the deck? The rigging looks great too.

What's next in the PW Navy?

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/700 Waterline: HMS Nelson   Thu May 11 2017, 00:26

Thank you gentlemen. Embarassed The detail painting took a few attempts with a small brush to get it to what I felt acceptable. I wish I had better reference materials for ships such as this as I don't believe that _everything_ would be grey (aside from the decking material). I got the impression from several model shipbuilding sites that "modern" 20th Century ships are very difficult to model owing to the lack of definitive documentation. My version is a hybrid of what I read on these web sites and, I feel, isn't too far off the mark.

Mike: I think the next member of my fleet will be a 1/600 WWI Dreadnought - the Iron Duke. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Tamiya 1/700 Waterline: HMS Nelson
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1