The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Heller USAF MATS C-121 Lockheed Constellation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Heller USAF MATS C-121 Lockheed Constellation    Sat May 13 2017, 09:16

I built this model a while back. It was first big 1/72 build in over a decade.

The Heller kit is excellent in both fit and construction. It was nicely detailed with out going overboard on interior details you will never see. Originally, it was an AirFrance kit, but the plane itself was identical to some versions of the MATS planes used by the USAF.

The model was painted bare metal overall with the various black sections masked off and painted afterword. I added a good amount of weight to the front cabin to keep her on all threes.

The decals were a mix of left over kit markings, mainly the national makings and the MATS decals were bought off eBay. The MATS set was okay. They didn't provide correct sized MATS logos for the forward fuselage on both sides. The decals also started to bleed ink, especially the spelled out "Military Air Transportation Service" banner on the central fuselage. The were difficult to set, but not impossible.

Since then, I have actually found Micro-scale decals for MATS planes...much better quality.

I only have one picture on file of this model. I will post the rest when I find them!

PostSubject: Re: Heller USAF MATS C-121 Lockheed Constellation    Tue May 16 2017, 09:25

Beautiful build of a beautiful aircraft, Tom. What paint do you use for your metal finishes?

PostSubject: Re: Heller USAF MATS C-121 Lockheed Constellation    Tue May 16 2017, 17:43

Thanks Mike! This one was just regular Testors silver spray paint with gloss cote. I have since discovered the Tamyia spay paints, which are much better!

Tom

Heller USAF MATS C-121 Lockheed Constellation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1