The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

My next Navy build...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: My next Navy build...   Sat May 20 2017, 09:15

I ran across this tanker (oiler in Navy terms) on eBay. It is an odd 1:520 scale. Curious to see how big it actually is. It has lots of rigging too!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My next Navy build...   Sat May 20 2017, 09:53

That's an old one. From the 50s according to Scalemates, and 12" long according to the original box-art Very Happy  That should look pretty impressive when it's built up.

PostSubject: Re: My next Navy build...   Sat May 20 2017, 11:25

Yes, I think they reissued the kit. It seems very common on eBay all of the sudden. 12" will be a decent size. I always forget about the scalemates site. Thanks Mike.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My next Navy build...   Sat May 20 2017, 17:56

Scalemates is a great reference for the lineage of kits, especially those which are re-boxed by different manufacturers (Revell-Germany, please take a stand...). I find it most useful though for stash management: I have my entire stash listed on there, very handy for accessing on my phone when I'm in the hobby store and can't remember if i've already bought this kit Shocked

PostSubject: Re: My next Navy build...   Sun May 21 2017, 08:28

My stash management is non-existent. I do have a pretty good idea of what I have though. I probably have around 300 kits (plane, ship, military vehicle) in my pile. I haven't been in a brick and mortar shop in a few years, so I really don't encounter the problem of spotting something at a shop and not being able to remember if I had it or not...unfortunately! There just are not any shops around me anymore. Crying or Very sad

I could probably open a shop with all the stuff I have, between models, die cast and model trains. My wife is in for a lot of selling(or renting a dumpster) if I die before I thin out my collections.....

Tom

PostSubject: Re: My next Navy build...   Sun May 21 2017, 10:43

I hear you Tom. When I first moved to Calgary 24 years ago there were 7 decent hobby shops in the city; now there are just 3, and one of those has evolved(?) into a glorified toy shop, with models just an afterthought. So I also do most of my buying online, but the two remaining dedicated hobby shops do offer a good selection of kits and supplies, so I try to frequent them too. (It also usually ends up being a social event as I regularly meet other modelling friends/acquaintances when I'm shopping.)

My stash sits at around 160 and has hovered around that number for a couple of years. I buy and am given kits, but I also build, sell and give them away, so it remains fairly constant.

PostSubject: Re: My next Navy build...   Sat May 27 2017, 11:41

I did just buy a 1/35 US M-37 3/4 ton truck...finally! I have been waiting for a model of this to come out, for years! It was far more common than any US military truck other than the M-35 but no one would produce a model of it!

Roden finally produced one. It is an okay kit with tons and tons of intricate details to assemble. I plan on finishing it like the real one I own...

PostSubject: Re: My next Navy build...   Mon May 29 2017, 09:39

Doesn't look like any ship I've ever seen - except maybe a Duck.  lol!

Good luck on building that Roden kit.  I wonder if their armor/vehicle kits are any less frustrating than their aircraft kits.  Hopefully you'll be able to do it well and show us the results once you're done.

Your tanker looks like it will be a fun project too!

pmmaker

My next Navy build...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1