The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Revell 1/72: MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed C

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Revell 1/72: MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed C   Wed May 31 2017, 01:23

This is a model I purchased with the intention of making it into a Syrian or Egyptian MiG for display with my IAF collection. Unfortunately, I picked what is probably the only MiG variant not to see action in the Middle East (such is my luck Rolling Eyes ). Regardless, it is a decent kit that builds-out nicely (if remarkably). The only fault I encountered was a badly molded main gear strut which I had to replace through Revell Germany. It only took a month by steamship to get the part, but it did arrive (kudos to Revell Customer Service). I finally got it built and painted a week or so ago.

It's in the usual Soviet natural finish, but I did add a light wash to give it a grimy "used" look. Aside from that there really isn't much to say about it - it's a Mig 21. Shrugs

This kit is from Revell of Germany and is # 03967. It includes decals for a Soviet and East German aircraft.

Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72: MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed C   Thu Jun 01 2017, 08:45

Looks good: nice to see this built up PW, I have this somewhere in the stash. Perhaps I should check the main gear strut on mine... The F-13 was certainly flown by Egypt, Syria, Iraq etc. though how much action they saw I'm not sure (or whether there are decals available for them). The US had a couple, which I thought might make an interesting model.

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72: MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed C   Thu Jun 01 2017, 17:52

Nice looking model and a great job with the build. Yeah, sure you could camouflage the plane, but I am partial to the bare metal Cold War look. It looks great to me!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72: MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed C   Thu Jun 08 2017, 00:19

I appreciate your comments Mike and Tom. Smile

Tom: I tried to research its use online and didn't find anything to confirm that this version saw service in the Middle East. The Fishbed-C version had very short range and limited armament that it seemed to be used only in the USSR and some Warsaw Pact countries (China made its own version). I do have decals for a Syrian or Egyptian version of a Mig-21 at some point in the future.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72: MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed C   Sat Jun 10 2017, 09:07

Oh, I see. I guess I was speaking of Mig-21 in general.

Also, the box art is interesting as it shows the Mig shooting down a USAF RB-66 Bomber.

From Wiki...."On 10 March 1964, a 19th TRS RB-66C flying on a photo-reconnaissance mission from the Toul-Rosières Air Base in France, was shot down over East Germany by a Soviet MiG-21 after it had crossed over the border due to a compass malfunction. The crew ejected and were taken prisoner briefly before being repatriated."

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72: MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed C   Sat Jun 10 2017, 23:47

Tom,

It is almost like a quick close-support jet. It has only a single cannon with 30 rounds and only carries rocket pods or bombs on the two hard-points. I really don't get what the point was with them in light of what the other variants could do. scratch

That's an interesting factoid about the box cover and the incident it depicts. Thanks for finding that.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Revell 1/72: MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed C   Sun Jun 11 2017, 09:21

So many of the Soviet interceptors were like "manned SAMs", basically good for one pass or interception. They were definitely concentrating on possible bombing raids in the cold war era...

Tom

Revell 1/72: MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed C
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Model Aircraft Collector Forum :: Plastic Kits & Builds :: Revell / Monogram-
Jump to: