The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

HM A-26 Invader

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomMarkert

PostSubject: HM A-26 Invader   Sat Jun 10 2017, 09:21

I picked up an older release HM A-26 Invader recently. It is used but in mint condition and it cost $70. Not bad I guess.

It is decorated for the 731st Bomber Squadron based out of Iwakuni, Japan in 1951 which took part in the early stages of the Korean War.

It is a nice model with the typical HM amenities such as up or down landing gear, open or closed bomb bay and three crew figures. I am hoping to pick up a bare metal version of this plane someday....

Tom

Admin

PostSubject: Re: HM A-26 Invader   Sat Jun 10 2017, 14:25

A really great model Tom - thank you for sharing it with us.

HM has made several versions of the A/B-26 Invader.  They are going to release a Vietnam era "K" version for which they had to modify their mold.  

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll see a natural metal, non-camouflaged version from them in the future unless they didn't modify their existing mold.  You can always buy one and Code 3 repaint it I suppose.

I really like the models offered by HM of the A/B-26, but as I am getting out of the hobby, I don't feel the need nor have the desire to spend the money on one.  If I did get one, the Flying Mule has a couple of the all black Korean War versions on sale for a decent price.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: HM A-26 Invader   Sat Jun 10 2017, 21:35

I looked and found there are older models of the bare skin A-26s on eBay. Most are in Europe, so shipping is an issue with the bottom line. They are late WW2 versions with out the eight machine guns in the nose.

The Vietnam version looks very cool. It is interesting in that a jet, the B-66, replaced the A-26 in the Airforce inventory...

Tom

Admin

PostSubject: Re: HM A-26 Invader   Sat Jun 10 2017, 21:58

There are four:

2 WWII versions, 1 from French Indonesia in French markings, and 1 in post war Cuban markings.

Nothing post war in natural metal from the US was made by HM. Still a nice model to own.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: HM A-26 Invader   Sun Jun 11 2017, 09:32

I have seen those and they look nice. I found a slightly cheaper bare metal version, but I have not decided if I really want it just yet.

"Getting out of the hobby" ??? I figure you mean dropping out of the diecast collecting branch?

One thing with hobbies is that you can flow from one to another and eventually return to any of them. I have a MV I have not driven in a year, a huge collection of US, German and British model railroad stuff that I have not really dabbled in during the last couple years, a gun collection, artwork, and a few other interests which I have ignored in the last few years.

Plane building never really goes away or model building in general. There is usually some subject that gets my interest.

I have a few plane models under construction now. I also have an N gauge train layout that may get my attention for the summer.

Just keeping things fresh!

Tom

Admin

PostSubject: Re: HM A-26 Invader   Sun Jun 11 2017, 10:50

No Tom, I mean getting out of aircraft collecting altogether.

I started weeding out the die-cast collection a couple of years ago.  I plan on cutting it in half this summer.  That should leave me with about 25 - 30 die-cast models.

Also I've started to go through my plastic kits and got my "sell it off now" pile growing as we speak.  I hope to have a few extra hundreds of dollars in my savings account by summer's end if all goes as planned.

Good luck with the A-26.  I hope you can find one you like for a good price. I'll check around too - more eyes looking is always a better way to find things.

Allan

dragon

Last edited by Admin on Sun Jun 11 2017, 16:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: HM A-26 Invader   Sun Jun 11 2017, 16:39

Tom,

Check out Aiken's website.  They have this one available for sale for a reasonable $74.95:

A-26B Invader USAF 386th BG, 552nd BS, "Stinky", Beaumont, France, 1945

Here is the URL for the listing:

http://www.aikensairplanes.com/a-26b-invader-usaf-386th-bg-552nd-bs-stinky-beaumont-france-1945/

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: HM A-26 Invader   Sun Jun 11 2017, 17:17

Oh, okay! Thanks! That is the one I was looking for. Thanks again.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: HM A-26 Invader   Sat Jun 17 2017, 17:58

I ordered it and it arrived. A nice shiny, silver plane!

Tom

Admin

PostSubject: Re: HM A-26 Invader   Sun Jun 18 2017, 07:16

That is a really attractive model Tom.  Lots of guys on other forums really trashed this one because they felt the scheme was ho-hum boring.  Personally, I find the natural metal finish to be sharp and eye-catching.  

The A-26 is a rather obscure aircraft, but I think it looks great.  If I was buying models like I used to, I could see myself getting 2 or 3 of these. Very good pick up you got there!

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: HM A-26 Invader   Sun Jun 18 2017, 09:19

Thanks, Allan. The photos really don't do the model justice. It is really bright and shiny!

Tom

HM A-26 Invader
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1