The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship   Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:34 am

This is a real oddball for me (which is something coming from me Wink ). I found this kit on Ebay and the pics were not all that good. I tried doing some online research on the kit and found very little about it. But the price was good and the subject matter, early pre-Dreadnought battleship, really appealed to me. So I took a chance and bought it. Now I have to figure out if it is really a glorified toy or a decent model (or both?). scratch

The Kit

This is supposed to be a 1/250 scale "British Empire 1880 early Iron Warship" by Kits Remembered. It is kit # KRM30002. It is a model of a transitional warship known as a "torpedo-ram" which was an iron-clad battleship powered by steam and / or sails. And, as the name implies, the ships did fire early steam-powered torpedoes out of single tubes in the ship's bow and stern.

Pic of the box (the label looks like it was printed from a home computer and printer):

The model has a surprising number of pieces for such a "simple" model:

Examining the parts you can see there is very little in the way of any detail. Most parts are fairly rudimentary. But the funny thing is that for a kit of this type (short-run, unknown manufacturer) the parts were, for the most part, pretty clean and well molded. The kit is motorized. By far the worst part of the kit is the instruction sheet. And sheet it is as it is a single sheet of paper printer front and back. Image quality is VERY poor so you have to do a lot of double-checking of parts and part locations while building. Paint call-outs are very generic too and not very useful for the period this ship would have served in the Royal Navy.

The Build

I did some research and found that I wanted to paint this ship in the Victorian period colors of the Royal Navy. That would be a red lower hull and black upper. Deck structures are in white while masts and smoke stack are in an umber color.

Pic of the hull with the motor installed:

This is a build in progress so I'll have more to come.

Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship   Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:14 am

Cool! Motorized like the old Lindberg kits! It is my kind of kit, just enough detail and apparent simple construction! Can't wait to see it completed!

Tom

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship   Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:21 am

For a rather limited and unknown kit, the molding and level of detail is pretty good Propwash.  Unlike aircraft where mistakes really pop out at you, ships tend to be more forgiving.

I eagerly wait to see what your finished model looks like.   Maybe a few shots with it moving in the water. lol!

Keep us appraised of your progress.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship   Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:46 pm

I'm happy to have something different to show you. Very Happy

Here are some shots of what I've done in the past couple of days. My two arch enemies, acrylic paints and white paint, are now in play. I've had a big fight on my hands in using those two. Acrylic paint is something I always struggle with, while white (like yellow) paint is a big pain in the backside to apply. frustrated I now question the wisdom in my choice to paint the model as it should be painted (Victorian Royal Navy colors), rather than the generic red hull and gray topside as suggested by the model. And speaking of wisdom, or my lack of, I should have done a lot on painting BEFORE gluing parts into place. For some reason I thought I had more room than I actually do to move the brush around. Doh! thinking?

The hull is complete and the motor runs nicely. Maybe I can get a pick of it on the high seas for you Allan. Wink

Primer painting the upper deck:

First coats of paint on the upper deck:

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship   Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:13 am

We live and learn Brett, we live and learn. Painting white acrylic is indeed a problem. I water down the acrylic paint to a water like consistency and then I apply multiple, thin overcoats with a sot brush until I get the results I want. Nowadays, I use white spray paint and I paint the parts while they are on the sprue. Loose parts are taped to the workbench and sprayed white. The results are better and the frustration I have to deal with is lessened.

This one is coming out well. Your decking and the sub assemblies are looking good and show detail. You are making slow, but steady progress towards a nice build. Looking forward to seeing the completed model.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship   Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks Allan. I've remembered to use your tips from past builds (thinning the white or yellow paints considerably, then applying multiple layers) and have applied them here. Still not an easy job of it though. Wink

I would like your input / suggestion on what I should do about the portholes. They are really just dents in the hull so I am thinking to use a color like intermediate blue to color them in. What do you think? I would use that color for all windows as well (and there aren't that many). Or what do you suggest I do with them?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship   Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:04 am

For molded in port holes, I use a sharp tipped Sharpie marker to ink the portholes in. Another tool I have is a metal quill art pen and dark blue ink. I dip the quill into the ink and carefully fill in the portholes. I use these methods to fill in the details on my aircraft models' wheels too.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship   Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:21 am

Thanks Allan. I do have a set of such pens on hand (again taking your advice - you should write a column Wink ). I can do that on the smaller portholes that are in the white painted areas. It is the big portholes along the sides, in the black paint, that present a problem. You notice that they are there, but you can't really tell what they are. I've looked at old photos and models of such ships and, unless there is contrasting paint (white or gray for example), you really can't see them all that well anyway. Maybe I should just stick with the ones in the white areas then. scratch
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship   Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Okay,

For the small portholes on the white, use the pen & ink or Sharpie marker like we discussed.

For the black, use the back end of a paint brush, sharpen it to a dull point, and dip it in some silver paint. Now carefully fill in the molded porthole with silver. Let this dry. Now use some acrylic blue paint and water it down about 40 - 50% with water. Use your sharpened brush end and apply a thin wash coat of blue over the silver. That should give you some pretty realistic results.

Let me know if that worked.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down

Kits Remembered 1/250: RN 1880 Iron Warship
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1