The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hornchurch

Location : 8th Air Force region ~ Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk ~ >> EAST-ANGLIA, ENGLAND

PostSubject: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Tue Jun 20 2017, 19:05

'

Some (including Stew), "May" have noted my abscence from these here parts recently.

Well, save typing again, I'll cut & paste what happened....
....in a local-post to a friend on the K.L. local forum, explaining.

"The idea or 'plan' was, to go out on the bike (as per normal) & enjoy both the first drop of warm sunshine, great weather & the BEGINNING of my 2017 motorcycling summer, after which, it was decreed that I would return to my Father's house, change clothes, snatch camera & head on down to Tennyson Ave to take shots of the train AND combine it with an early evening shopping trip at Gaywood Tesco's for the old fella (Dad, now an octogenarian !).

I've been riding powerful bikes since 1979, passed my test in 1982, toured all over Europe on 1,000cc bikes, been riding ever since & in that time, this is only my 2nd accident.... alas, more damaging than I could've ever imagined.
(what I'd call an expensive 'price' for such a 'cheap' accident).
Heck, back in the 1990's I'd even gone thru the highest driving authority in the land, when my firm sent me on a course at Cardington via the DSA, where the failure rate was 65% & the instructors are THE examiners, who examine the examiners at driving test centres & I'd passed comfortably (75% pass), wheras my compatriot, who owned a training school & had ALL the knowledge & books, failed.
(It was my confidence that got me thru), so I must be doing something bright & am not exactly a complete idiot on a bike... nonetheless....
So on Friday 26th, I'm riding home from Weybourne (yes, trains), ambling back to take the old guy shopping... when, on a series of switchbacks, or, double bends, I suddenly hit a (small), patch of gravel, which caused momentary loss of front wheel tyre traction, causing the bike to've spat me off (circa 35-40mph).
Sadly, I got spat-off over the handlebars & kinda went "up & over", landing in a very hard & nasty fashion on my right-shoulder (God, I really hit it with a thump).

Didn't want the 'drama' of the emergency services, so a passing lady phoned the R.A.C (I'm a member) & spent an age discussing my membership (!), being told "you're NOT entitled to recovery" (I was) & all manner of other stupidity !!!!!

Upped to a "priority case", the (lying bastards), PROMISED me a "no more than 90 minute wait"
Still there some FOUR HOURS LATER, numerous (Anon'), passers-by, who'd been to the beach (& back again), took it upon themselves to dial 999, so the Law & Blood wagon duly arrived, by which time I'd REALLY stiffened-up & realised that I'd done (far), more damage than I'd thought.
Between Ambulance & Triage, they cut-off ALL my clothing & gave me the ubiquitous "backless gown", like the Eminem "Slim Shady" video, a newer version of which, I'm STILL wearing, as I type this, in a private Hospital recuperation ward.
Broke Shoulder, Right-Arm, Ankle in two-places....
Ankle & leg are still in a hard-cast & was operated on, in theatre (general ana'), on the eve' of 31st May - tomorrow, I'm going back, in an Ambulance, to Q.E.2, to have Shoulder X-Rayed again, to see how it's knitting - I cannot weight-bear, or even walk 4-5 steps to my "En-Suite" toilet, which is most frustrating.
Don't wanna count my eggs/chickens yet, but, I reckon at this rate, it'll be August time, before "I" get any remote chance of doing ANY worthwhile photography, or moving/driving around under my own steam... "
Back to top Go down
Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Tue Jun 20 2017, 19:10

So sorry to hear of this, Kev. I give you my best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery, Sir!!
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

Location : 8th Air Force region ~ Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk ~ >> EAST-ANGLIA, ENGLAND

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Tue Jun 20 2017, 19:56

Captain Eddie wrote:

So sorry to hear of this, Kev.  
I give you my best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery, Sir!!

'

God Bless Ya Doug - Many many thanks for your kind words...

It's very much appreciated.

Am absolutely DREADING the "weight-bearing", especially as my Ankle now has steel-plates !
(steel-plates & screws that are 'new' to this 50 year old body of mine...)

Back to top Go down
Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Wed Jun 21 2017, 06:07

Kev, I know a little bit about ankle's, metal plates and screws, as I had my left ankle replaced twice.  The doctor put a cut in the bone the first time that he ought not have done, so I ended up with a metal plate and screws, in addition to the normal ankle reolacement. Of course, I was non-weight bearing for quite some time, but when I was able to bear weight on it, it was no problem.  The first time I had it replaced, I was under 50, but was age 59 the second time.

Of course, your results may vary!  Cool
Back to top Go down
Hornchurch

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Wed Jun 21 2017, 08:01

Captain Eddie wrote:
Kev, I know a little bit about ankle's, metal plates and screws, as I had my left ankle replaced twice.  The doctor put a cut in the bone the first time that he ought not have done, so I ended up with a metal plate and screws, in addition to the normal ankle reolacement. Of course, I was non-weight bearing for quite some time, but when I was able to bear weight on it, it was no problem.  The first time I had it replaced, I was under 50, but was age 59 the second time.

Of course, your results may vary!  Cool
'

Many thanks for your encouraging post & reply, it's much appreciated !

I've only just come back from main-Hospital, to recuperation ward, 1-2hrs ago.

They made lots of fuss at my 'Amberly-Hall' rehab' centre, this morning.

Ambulance arrived at shift-changeover, so I missed my med's ("Zoromorph").

Was hoping to get decent food at the main-centre, but they had other plans.

X-Rayed my shoulder at 9.00pm, wheeled into Orthopaedics at 10.00am.

Bumped into gorgeous Lindsay, a Tesco store manager who knows us well
(she called over to me & was surprised I was in quite a state !).

Today was meant to be "Broken Shoulder" day, but other things happened too.

In Orthopaedics, Emma took out my stitches ~ about 12-15 each side.

They looked crude & disgusting to me, but she said, "No, Fine, It's healing well"

Once Dr had examined, they put a new 'funky' cast on ~ In PURPLE, No less I love you

Told to keep elevated, tho' new cast feels tight.... (old one wasn't)

Doug, you must've read my mind when posting, because....

Shoulder has been BY FAR the more painful injury, but, ankle IS on my mind.

As pain(s) in my shoulder ease slightly, I "dread" the weight-bearing stage Crying or Very sad

Metalwork WITHIN the moving joint feels SO ALIEN !!!!!!

Also feels like 'plates' are cutting into flesh ~ Did YOU get THAT feeling ??????

Shoulder injury/damage feels TEN-TIMES more painful than my Double Ankle-Break.

Back to top Go down
Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Wed Jun 21 2017, 10:24

No, Kev, I never felt like anything was cutting into my flesh, sorry you are. FYI, I had my left shoulder replaced quite a number of years ago, but I never had an injury to it like you have, my replacements have been due to psoriatic arthritis.

Take care, and I hope the food gets better!
Back to top Go down
MikeD

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Wed Jun 21 2017, 10:53

Kev,
So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope everything goes well with your recovery. Ill say a prayer for your speedy recovery. I'll be looking for you on WOT Blitz!!

Mike
Back to top Go down
daveyator

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Wed Jun 21 2017, 11:39

So sorry to hear this. Hope your up and around soon. I've been riding since high school so when I hear stuff like this it hits home. My only excuse at this point is my bikes are getting bigger so I tend to drive (a little) slower.

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Thu Jun 22 2017, 09:44

Captain Eddie wrote:

No, Kev, I never felt like anything was cutting into my flesh, sorry you are.
I had my left shoulder replaced quite a number of years ago, but I never had an injury to it like yours
Take care, and I hope the food gets better!
'

Hi Doug - Am stunned to learn that you've also had the same joints 'crocked' & replaced...
(or in the case of your ankle, worked on).
Tracey, one of my nurses told me...
"Kev, at first your body will TRY to reject the plates, they're foreign, so cells will be sent down (by the body's own immune system), to first, "fight", attack & surround the foreign-object, like, say, "shrapnel"
(it was/is a good analogy)
Eventually, scar-tissue (& suchlike), will form around it, whilst the body will eventually 'accept' it's prescence, once surrounded & isolated by cells & scar-tissue, like a protective layer"

That kinda put me at ease, coz the thought of even stepping down with it, fills me with dread.

MikeD wrote:
Kev,
 So sorry to hear about your accident. Hope everything goes well with your recovery.
Ill say a prayer for your speedy recovery. I'll be looking for you on WOT Blitz!!

Mike
'

Mike, dear ol' Mike,
Am really chuffed to hear from you mate, really am   Good stuff

Been a while since you & I were 'owning' Castilla with our Panzer.IV-'D' truppen !
I did see ya briefly online twice, but I didn't pester ya...
This is because I figured you'd be back on, playing at MUCH higher level(s), than me ?
Besides, would take (me) a month of Sunday's, explaining it all in "Barbie-doll" sized print  Rolling Eyes
I can't read what's written for, say, 75-90% of the time anyhow !!!!!!!

Was thinking of you when I entered the "Girls und Panzer" event..
Especially for the Panzer.IV-'H'  aka  "Anko".
I know you have, or have had one before, I take it you rate it ??

In my smashed-up state, I can barely hold the phone, so, lower-tier.
It's easier to cope with, speed wise & less drama than high-tier, too.
The 3.8 - 3.10 Equipment debacle "is" strangling the game, ruining it !

daveyator wrote:

So sorry to hear this. Hope your up and around soon.
I've been riding since high school so when I hear stuff like this it hits home.
My only excuse at this point is my bikes are getting bigger so I tend to drive (a little) slower.
'

Many thanks for your kind words Dave, it's appreciated man Wink
Like I mentioned earlier, been riding some 37-years, so no spring chicken here LOL.
Bizzarrely, it seems you & I have done things differently...
I've owned 1,000cc bikes since I was 22 yrs/old & only 'dropped down' since 2014.
Was touring Normandy battlefields, France, at 23 & Ardennes soon after (Lux'/Belgium).
Never less than 1,000cc, whilst my (ridiculous) latest 'ordeal', was on a 550cc.

I stopped going 'real quick' sometime in the late 90's, with a breif soujourn in 2004.
(Kawasaki GPz.900-R, 'the bike' best-known as star of Hollywood film, "Top-Gun")

I'll post a picture of my lovely "little" Kawasaki ZR.550 'Zephyr' shortly...

Meantime, once again, many thanks for the very kind replies, to one & all !!!!!!

Last edited by Hornchurch on Mon Jul 24 2017, 21:20; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Fri Jun 23 2017, 08:23

Sorry to hear about your little prang Kev, under carriage lever a bit sticky? Bumps a daisy, you can teach monkeys to fly better. Smile

Seriously though, I hope you are on the mend and well on your to getting back to normal.

Back to top Go down
cjg476

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Fri Jun 23 2017, 11:44

Omg Kevin!!!!! Prayers coming your way. Get better friend.

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Sun Jun 25 2017, 06:19

Good grief Geezer,......I hope you are mending quickly mate.

I've let Susie know mate and we both give our very best for a speedy recovery.
Back to top Go down
11sqnldr

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Tue Jun 27 2017, 08:26

Harden up you old git pirat

Sorry to hear of the prang mate, always in the back of my mind as I zip about on the occasional Sunday cruise on the Hog... and of course our older bones ain't as tough as they were when we were young'uns!!

It sounds like you have some recovery time ahead of you mate so all the best & keep us posted here cheers
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Tue Jul 04 2017, 16:10

Get well soon! I have seen so many bad bike accidents in the past. How people can work up the nerve to ride with crazy drivers on today's roads is beyond me.

I am a locomotive driver and cars at level crossings still make me nervous when operating a 150 ton locomotive, even though I am guaranteed to win every time in the event of a collision.

Take your time and get better!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)   Sat Jul 08 2017, 17:45

Crikey mate sounds like a really bad prang, Doug sent me a PM tell me about your doo!

Seems like prangs and bikes go hand in hand, I broke my shoulder blade, ruptured a kidney and broke a couple of fingers when I went into the side of a van that pulled in front of me.
I went half way through the van drivers window so I was told!

The point is I understand your pain buddy, peeing blood was not pleasant in my case, although the shoulder healed very quickly no problem.
I have to say I did enjoy the R and R for a week in hospital, there were some very pretty nurses!!!!!
Sadly I failed in attempts to pull one, although I spent many happy hours playing cards and drinking beer with the night staff, those were the days eh.

Don't worry mate time will heal you up fine, yah just gotta have patience, my pal pranged his bike a few years ago, he had a whole bunch of metal put into both legs, always sets the alarm going at the airport LOL.
He is fine with no problems though he swears he can tell when its going to rain because his right leg twinges, funny thing is he is often right.

Anyway chin up buddy there's an old fart up in Yorkshire wishing you a speedy recovery (and that's just the wife) have tot of whiskey every day to thin the blood and speed recovery, it works I promise anyway what Have you to lose, LOL.

best regards,
Jim.
Back to top Go down

Hornchurch - Crocked-Up In Hospital (Ha !)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next