The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpler

PostSubject: Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1   Wed Jun 28 2017, 02:11

At last I have managed to finish something and for the most part I am happy with it except for the tracks. My son gave it to me for my birthday and I would class it as high level kit. A few reviews I saw said it was a kit for an expert. It was the usual Tamiya kit, every thing fitted with a minimum of effort until it came to the tracks. Each track comprised 100 separate links although I used 101. Directions say to cement the links together and wait for 30 to 60 minutes for the glue to cure and then fit them before the glue sets. At about 25 seconds on average to glue each link it took about 40 minutes for each track by which time the first links had set and the later links had at least 15 minutes before they had cured enough to use. I used to think rigging a Gotha was hard. I will never buy anything with these links again. I used Tamiya acrylics thinned with X-20A Tamiya thinner at a ratio of 2 to 1 as recommended by Tamiya. I think I will use up the enamels that I have and stay with the acrylics for spraying. The primer was a spray can of Humbrol which was very good but a bit hard to obtain here as most shops are not stocking Humbrol any more.

Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1   Mon Jul 03 2017, 20:18

Very nice Rumpler, the Tamiya kits really build up beautifully and you've done a great job of painting/finishing it. And nicely presented as always Smile

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1   Mon Jul 03 2017, 20:42

Another awesome build and photos. Assembling individual links to make a complete track requires patience that I will never have.
Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1   Tue Jul 04 2017, 02:45

Thanks for the comments Propwash and Migrant. The only working Tiger tank left in the world carries the number 131 and it is in a museum in Britain and it was captured on the orders of Churchill. Tamiya says this one was used in Normandy in July 1944 so I assume when a tank is lost the ID number is reissued. Would have liked to try the winter colour scheme but was not game to try it on a high quality kit.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1   Tue Jul 04 2017, 15:59

Nice build! I built the original early Tamyia Tiger over 40 years ago! I still have it.

Your version is the later Tiger as one can tell by the back of the hull. Early Tiger tanks, like ones used on the Russian front, had the "Pfifel" (sp) air cleaners mounted to the rear hull. They looked like four cans with hoses running across the engine deck.

As a long time builder, I personally hate individual link track sets. Give me the old vinyl one piece tracks anytime.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1   Tue Jul 04 2017, 16:10

TomMarkert wrote:

As a long time builder, I personally hate individual link track sets. Give me the old vinyl one piece tracks anytime.

Amen to that...

Tamiya 1/35 Tiger 1
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1