The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Falcon Models FA722011 Canadian Armed Forces CT-133 "Silver Shark"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Falcon Models FA722011 Canadian Armed Forces CT-133 "Silver Shark"    Mon Jul 03 2017, 17:29

August 6, 2012

Falcon Models FA722011
Canadian Armed Forces Canadair CT-133 Silver Star (CDN T-33) #133504
"Silver Shark" Special (also known as the "Mako Shark" scheme)
VU-32 Squadron CFB Shearwater, 1992
1/72 Scale

A restored CT-133 (#133577) is currently flying on the North American Airshow Circuit in the "Mako Shark" Scheme. The original scheme was flown on #133504 in 1992.

The Canadair CT-133 Silver Star, was the Canadian license built version of the Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star jet trainer aircraft, in service from 1952 to 2005. The Canadian version was powered by the higher thrust Rolls-Royce Nene 10 turbojet, whereas the Lockheed used the Allison J33. In total Canadair manufactured 656 aircraft between 1952 and 1959.

Falcon Models has now become one of the established Diecast Model manufacturers and continues to expand with new toolings like the soon expected Mirage F1 and Advanced Hawk Trainer.

The T-33 was one of their first products and this one represents their 11th T-Bird release and their second Canadian "Silver Star".

The first thing you'll notice with this Canadian Shark Mouth T-Bird is the dramatic choice of liveries and I actually like it quite a bit. Certainly not your typical "Shark Mouth" scheme. Next is the stunning blue colour. One thing that really stood out after photographing this model is just how difficult it is to capture the actual blue colour of the model. The Falcon Pre Production photos seemed to appear more of a Aqua marine rather than the more true blue represented by photos of the actual aircraft. In reality the model is in fact closer to that truer blue colour and I have done my best to adjust my photos using a photo editor in order to match the colour of the model as it sat by my keyboard. This only proves that when people claim that certain colours are "off" when they see photos of models for the first time really need to realize that colours vary depending on the camera settings, lighting, and how pictures are adjusted during editing. Even my photos aren't exact - but they are closer to the Blue on the model than the previous Pre Production photos. I have even noticed that the photos appear more greenish on my iPad compared to my Desk Top Computer! I suppose you really will have to see a copy in person to judge for yourself.

The Paint and finish on this Canadian T-Bird by Falcon is well above average with very few "rough spots" on the all metal model. This is my first Falcon T-33 with the modified jet intakes and the improvement is very noticable. The fit of the Nose and Main gear pegs appears to have been improved compared to previous T-Bird releases and can actually support the model just fine without any white glue. The Horizontal stabs were perfectly straight (this was a problem with previous releases). The cockpit is actually quite nicely detailed with control sticks and printed instrument panels. Pilots are not provided but Hobby Master Pilots (seen in my photos) fit quite nicely. The only minor disappointment was a missing nose gear door - but a quick email to Falcon Models (email listed on the box) has already led to a response that a replacement part is on the way.

All in all a great and dramatic addition to the Canadian collection.

Dan
Wink

Back to top Go down

REVIEW: Falcon Models FA722011 Canadian Armed Forces CT-133 "Silver Shark"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1