The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Aviation 200 Canadian Armed Forces CC-130E Hercules

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Aviation 200 Canadian Armed Forces CC-130E Hercules   Sat Feb 18 2017, 22:36

Aviation 200
AV21301014
Canadian Armed Forces Lockheed CC-130E Hercules
1/200 Scale

Finally, a Canadian C-130 Hercules in 1/200 Scale!

Canada is the third largest Operator of the venerable Lockheed C-130 Hercules (after the U.S. and the U.K.) with 61 aircraft having served in RCAF/CAF colours since 1960. Four C-130B models were first purchased in 1960 but were quickly replaced by an order for 24 C-130E models in 1964. Five of of the more powerful C-130H versions arrived in 1974-75.

A further four C-130H Hercules were delivered in 1985-86 – two new aircraft and two used from the UAE. In 1991, a further order was made for another five 'H model Hercules fitted with outer wing pylons for air-to-air refuelling drogues as CC-130H(T) tanker-transports.

In 1997 two new stretched 'H models – CC-130H-30s were purchased from Lockheed Martin which had been manufactured but had remained unsold.

By 2012 the C-130Es were retired and replaced by 17 modern C-130J models. Twelve of the C-130H models remain in service today primarily in the Search and Rescue and Air-to Air Refuelling roles.

The Model

I picked up this model from Don at Flight City (the old Aviation World location) in Vancouver. Don provides excellent service and has quite reasonable prices.

Overall I am very pleased with Aviation 200's effort here. The paint quality is excellent and all the parts fit together well. The model may be displayed gear up or gear down and an attractive stand is included. Even the rear cargo door and ramp opens for an additional display option. The attractive white and silver scheme with the "lightning stripe" cheat line markings are accurate for a Canadian Armed Forces CC-130E during the 1970s and 1980s. After this all Canadian C-130s adopted a camouflage paint scheme.

I have only two very minor criticisms on the markings. First, underneath the starboard wing are the letters "RCAF". Once the RCAF ceased to exist in 1968, the letter "R" was removed and the letters "CAF" were retained to stand for "Canadian Armed Forces. "CAF" would be correct under the wing for this model - not "RCAF" as the symmetrical markings were first introduced in 1973. Secondly, the propeller safety markings should be red-white-red and not white-red-white as on the model. These minor criticisms aside, the model is absolutely gorgeous and I am more than pleased to have it in my collection.

Highly recommended.

Dan
Wink

Below: Seen with her predecessor, a DC-4M North Star by Hobby Master.

Below: In company with Inflight 200's contemporary Canadian Armed Forces CC-137 (Boeing 707).

Back to top Go down

REVIEW: Aviation 200 Canadian Armed Forces CC-130E Hercules
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1