The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARNS4001 Royal Navy McDonnell Douglas FG.1 (F-4K) Phantom II, 892 NAS, HMS Ark Royal, 1977

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARNS4001 Royal Navy McDonnell Douglas FG.1 (F-4K) Phantom II, 892 NAS, HMS Ark Royal, 1977   Thu Jul 13 2017, 17:56

Gemini Aces GARNS4001
McDonnell Douglas FG.1 (F-4K) Phantom II
Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm (FAA) 892 NAS, XT872, HMS Ark Royal, 1977
"Silver Jubilee" Markings
1/72 Scale

Limited Production 1250 Pieces
Year of Release 2008

A very nice model by Gemini Aces released back in 2008. A distinctive feature of the RN's Phantoms was the extendable nose gear oleo to allow launches at a higher angle of attack from the smaller British Carriers. Gemini has provided both an extended and normal nose gear to allow both options for display. I have chosen the extended version to display this unique feature.

I remember reading about the Royal Navy's last conventional Aircraft Carrier HMS "Ark Royal" and her Phantom and Buccaneer detachments in the late 1970s. I can't help but wonder if Ark Royal had remained in service as a deterrent, if the Falkland's War of 1982 would have even happened.

Anyways, once again a great model. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in British or Naval subjects.

Dan
Wink

The following two photos below show the use of the extended nose wheel oleo on RN Phantoms to increase the angle of attack during launch off of smaller British Aircraft Carriers.

Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARNS4001 Royal Navy McDonnell Douglas FG.1 (F-4K) Phantom II, 892 NAS, HMS Ark Royal, 1977   Thu Jul 13 2017, 23:37

I have this and it is one of my favorite F-4 schemes. Thanks for posting this (and others) ACP. I'm to lazy to do it myself of late.
Back to top Go down

REVIEW: Gemini Aces GARNS4001 Royal Navy McDonnell Douglas FG.1 (F-4K) Phantom II, 892 NAS, HMS Ark Royal, 1977
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1