The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Mon Jul 17 2017, 00:40

I just did something out of character for me. Rather than complete a build that was going badly, I just tossed it all in the trash. Two days of work - poof! Out it went. Such a shame too, as it looked like it would have been a cool little model when completed. Btw, the RWD-8 PWS is a pre-war Polish trainer and liaison aircraft.

It looked like two different companies made this kit. The fuselage, wings and cockpit were nicely modeled with subtle details. Then came the engine compartment which was badly designed and poorly molded (in fact, most of the parts required a great deal of effort to clean and/or shape). It was here, after several attempts (over several hours) to get things to fit, and failing, I cut my losses in time and mental anguish and threw it out. Begone foul kit! Darken my desk no more! razzin

This was Mirage Hobby kit # 485002. really awful

Guess I'll have to find something else to build.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Mon Jul 17 2017, 07:23

WOW Propwash! You NEVER throw a kit out! And you've got the reputation on here for tackling some rather weird objects and some really bad kits and pulling them off nicely.

I'm not familiar with the plane so I don't know how big a deal a bad engine is. Did the rest of the kit appear as deficient as well? You mentioned the fuselage and wings being somewhat well molded, but did you get further than the engine?

Thanks for thee warning.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Mon Jul 17 2017, 17:43

I can understand the frustration with some of these kits. Mirage is not a cheap kit to begin with. I almost threw out my last group build in frustration. An Xotic-72 Floatplane (Norm). i had to carve and sand so much of the engine compartment I would never buy another.

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Tue Jul 18 2017, 00:20

Allan and Ky,

After reading your posts I decided to dig the model out of the trashcan (good thing I didn't toss it on a Tuesday night as it would have been gone by now) and have another look.

The RWD-8 is reminiscent of a Piper Cub, with the exception of it having open cockpits. Here's a pic of one in civilian colors:

The big problem I had was with the engine compartment (and, to a lesser extent, the prop) which consisted of seven different parts: glob of an engine (used to hold the moving prop in place - if you had the correct prop anyway), engine mount (attaches to the firewall), the two side access panels, the hood-like cover, the bottom panel, and the front of the engine through which the prop was inserted. The hood/cover was completely misshapen as it flared well beyond each side of the fuselage. The side panels had to mate with the bottom of the cover and, when doing so, projected out at an angle that also prevented the bottoms of the panels from fitting into the angles of the firewall and bottom panel. The geometry was completely off. I found that the prop that was included in the kit was not the one shown in the instructions (which had a prop with a hole drilled into the hub to accept the shaft to allow it to spin). So I discarded the engine and mount as it was not needed. The prop that I had was molded with the shaft attached to it. I cut it down and used a hot screwdriver to melt/flatten the end to allow it to spin inside the engine front). I tried everything I could think of to make the parts fit, including cutting, sanding, gluing, and forcing parts together into place. Nothing worked. frustrated So I had my tantrum and out to the trash it flew. Shrugs

Now, cooler minds have prevailed owing to your comments. Smart ass

Before writing this I laid everything back out and looked it over. Hmmm. Serious Thinkin Thinking I couldn't make it worse, I held it over a candle until things looked like they were about to melt. I was then able to better mold the upper cover into some shape that seems to work. I also had to remove the side panels and do some surgery to make them fit. So far it looks like I might be able to salvage something from it after all. So far at least. I'll post some pics later after everything sets.

Thanks for the pep-talk guys. thank you
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Tue Jul 18 2017, 08:26

Glad to hear you're re-visiting it PW. Having built the Mirage PZL-23 Karas, all I can say is I feel your pain. "It looked like two different companies made this kit" also perfectly describes the Karas. The fuselage was superb with fine panel lines, whereas the wings were pebbly with deep, wide panel lines, and of course the fit was awful. If it hadn't been a commissioned build for a magazine it too would have ended up in the bin.

I will say that the level of detail was superb, especially the interior and engine, so I'm guessing your RWD was an earlier Mirage release.

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Tue Jul 18 2017, 09:07

Frustration, especially with an expensive kit is just, well . . . frustrating! frustrated

I can understand wanting to just throwing in the towel and chucking the whole thing into the trash - I've had a couple of those myself in the past. no big deal

I'm glad you reconsidered and are giving it a go Propwash. I'm sure it will turn out okay in the end.

pmmaker

Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Thu Jul 20 2017, 01:07

Thanks Mike and Allan. Smile

Here are some pics from last night. Because I had to do so much sanding, filling, molding (and swearing! Mad ), you can see the engine panels took a beating. On the last pic I glued some wire to each side to help simulate the hinge for the engine compartment side-panels. You can also see that I manage to re-break one of the wing struts. I managed to make something semi-usable to replace it. Stretching sprue is not a skill I've developed.Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Thu Jul 20 2017, 09:22

Nice save, PW, I'm sure that will look just fine under a coat of paint. The engine cowling is quite Tiger-Moth-ish, isn't it?

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Sat Jul 22 2017, 01:00

Migrant wrote:
Nice save, PW, I'm sure that will look just fine under a coat of paint. The engine cowling is quite Tiger-Moth-ish, isn't it?

That's what I should have compared it to instead of the Cub. thinking? It is very much like a Tiger or Puss Moth.

I'm making mine into the boring WWII Polish AF colors (any color you want as long as its olive). But, while researching the RWD-8, I came across a web site with lots of pre-war pics of the aircraft being used as a sport plane / air racer. The model does come with decals to make it into a sport plane and I think it would look rather nice done that way.

Thanks for commenting, Mike.
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Thu Jul 27 2017, 00:42

Well, it's finished - warts and all. I had lots of trouble with malformed and/or broken parts, as well as holes that weren't drilled. So lots of extra work to shape or scratch build parts. The final insult, after everything was painted, decaled, and ready to go, was the windscreens. They were not molded with the right contour to fit in their position on the cockpits. Rather than trying to file them into shape (and risk breaking them - been there, done that), I opted to glue them into place and do what I could to fill in with putty. I also tried my hand at shading the upper surfaces to look like the fabric had bleached in the sunshine a bit (thanks Migrant for the inspiration).

I'm happy to be done with this one. I think I'll build a boat next. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Thu Jul 27 2017, 06:49

That really turned out well Propwash. The weathering on the wings really looks good - nice job there. The control cables are a very nice touch that adds to the realism of the model.

I'm glad you reconsidered and fished your model out of the trash bin. I know how much work was involved, but in the end you pulled this build off nicely. Another fine "save" by the Propwash Miracle Works! HappyHappy

Take a well deserved break and build that ship model. Smart ass

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Thu Jul 27 2017, 07:00

I feel your pain, my current effort is the Airfix Blenheim which also came very close to going in the bin. It is still a work in progress so it may yet reach the bin. Yours is a nice save so I will persevere. Smile

As with rather a lot of builds here it is an unusual and interesting subject. Long may they continue to appear.

Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Fri Jul 28 2017, 23:53

Thanks Allan and DCR, I appreciate your kind comments on the build. Hang in there on that Blenheim build DCR. Good stuff
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Sat Jul 29 2017, 19:56

That came out really well, PW. So you'll be building another in the civilian markings, then? Cool

PostSubject: Re: Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS    Sat Jul 29 2017, 20:22

Migrant wrote:
So you'll be building another in the civilian markings, then? Cool

laughing

Thanks, Mike. I needed that.
Back to top Go down

Mirage Hobby 1/48: R.W.D.-8 PWS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next