The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

REVIEW: Hobby Master HA5601 Soviet Air Force MiG-25P Foxbat, Lt. Victor Belenko, Japan, 1976

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Hobby Master HA5601 Soviet Air Force MiG-25P Foxbat, Lt. Victor Belenko, Japan, 1976   Mon Jul 17 2017, 01:51

Hobby Master 1/72 Air Power Series
HA5601
MIG-25P Foxbat
Red 31,  flown by Lt. (Sg.) V. Belenko,
Japan, September 1976

NEW TOOLING

March (Delayed April) 2017 Release

On Sept. 6, 1976, Soviet pilot Victor Belenko flew his MiG-25 Foxbat to Japan and Defected to the West.

Before the airplane was returned to the Soviets, it was disassembled and analyzed in minute detail by Japanese and US experts, revealing, according to former CIA officer Robert Clark, it "was substantially less spectacular than ... described in intelligence estimates."

The MiG-25 greatly concerned Western defence analysts when the first photos appeared in the late 1960s.  Many felt that the Soviets had completely overtaken the West in fighter development.  This concern led directly to the development of American Air Superiority Fighters such as the F-14 Tomcat and F-15 Eagle.

The model by Hobby Master is an excellent replica of Belenko's aircraft.  It is a relatively large model as the MiG -25 was a large fighter.  Similar in size to the RA-5C Vigilante which was developed as a Bomber in fact.

All the parts on my model fit together well with no glue required and the paint quality was flawless.  When I began photographing my model I noticed a small piece of packing paper stuck to the nose - but it came off easily enough. Gear may be displayed either up or down and an open canopy option is provided.

Notably the stand on this model reverts to having a metal arm for the stand and is much more sturdy than many previous models.

Given the historical significance of the MiG -25 - I couldn't imagine anyone's collection being complete without one.  Highly recommended.

Dan
Wink

Below: Photo of Lt. Victor Belenko's MiG-25 as it arrives over Hakodate, Japan.

Below: Photo showing the aircraft right after landing and overrunning Hakodate's runway by 800 feet.

The MiG-25 being analyzed by U.S. and Japanese experts.

Back to top Go down

REVIEW: Hobby Master HA5601 Soviet Air Force MiG-25P Foxbat, Lt. Victor Belenko, Japan, 1976
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1