The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS & GUESTS! The Model Aircraft Collector Forum will be permanently shut down effective October 31st.

Share | 

REVIEW: Dragon Warbirds US Navy F4U-1A Corsair, VF-17 "Jolly Rogers", Lt. Cdr. Roger R. Hedrick, 1944

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Dragon Warbirds US Navy F4U-1A Corsair, VF-17 "Jolly Rogers", Lt. Cdr. Roger R. Hedrick, 1944   Sun Jul 23 2017, 16:29

Dragon Warbirds (Cyber-Hobby.com)
US Navy F4U-1A Corsair " White 17"
VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
Executive Officer Lt. Cdr. Roger R. Hedrick
Bougainville March 1944
1/72 Scale

​Lt. Cdr. Roger Hedrick, Fighting 17 Executive Officer and ace with nine Japanese aircraft shot down. He later went on to score another three victories as Commanding Officer of VF-84.

Lt Cdr Hedrick served as Executive Officer of VF-17 where he recorded his first 9 victories in the F4U. Cdr Tom Blackburn, CO of VF-17, described Roger Hedrick as "the greatest fighter pilot I've had the privilege to serve with." Later, Lt Cdr Roger Hedrick became the Commanding Officer of VF-84 serving aboard the USS Bunker Hill. Lt Cdr Hedrick achieved 3 more victories with VF-84 when he shot down 2 Ki-84s and a Zero during a sortie in which his F4U had already been damaged by ground fire over mainland Japan.

The combat tour of VF-84 was abruptly ended on 11 May 1945 when two kamikazes slammed into the Bunker Hill, severely damaging the carrier and forcing its withdrawal from operations. Lt Cdr Hedrick was unhurt during this attack that took nearly 400 lives, including 22 pilots of VF-84.

Another excellent Corsair by Dragon. The only minor complaint I have is that the Landing Gear requires a fair bit of white glue to stay in position. Comes with decorative display base and numbered certificate of authenticity. By the way no pilot is included (I used a Hobby Master Pilot here).

Dan
Wink

Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: REVIEW: Dragon Warbirds US Navy F4U-1A Corsair, VF-17 "Jolly Rogers", Lt. Cdr. Roger R. Hedrick, 1944   Sun Jul 23 2017, 16:51

One of my absolutely favorite models I've ever gotten.  It's still safely wrapped in bubble-wrap and stored in a plastic tote.  I've sold off my all sea blue Dragon Corsairs, by my three-color Hedrick Corsair is going nowhere.

The execution of the three-color scheme is flawless for a mass produced model in this scale.

Dan, your pictures are just FANTASTIC!!! :drool  happy  thank you

pmmaker

REVIEW: Dragon Warbirds US Navy F4U-1A Corsair, VF-17 "Jolly Rogers", Lt. Cdr. Roger R. Hedrick, 1944
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1