The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS & GUESTS! The Model Aircraft Collector Forum will be permanently shut down effective October 31st.

Share | 

REVIEW: Falcon Models FA7228004 US Navy Grumman F11F-1 Tiger, VA-156 "Iron Tigers", USS Shangri-La, 1958

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Falcon Models FA7228004 US Navy Grumman F11F-1 Tiger, VA-156 "Iron Tigers", USS Shangri-La, 1958   Mon Jul 24 2017, 01:00

Falcon Models FA728004
US Navy Grumman F11F-1 Tiger 141758,
VA-156 "Iron Tigers", U.S.S. Shangri-La (CV-38), 1958
1/72 Scale

January 2014 Release

Below: A VA-156 F11F Tiger prepares for launch from the deck of the USS Shangri-La in 1958

A late addition to my USN collection.

This is Falcon's fourth Tiger release and in my opinion represents one of the more attractive colour schemes. The aircraft is from VA-156 "Iron Tigers" Squadron (later redesignated VF-111 "The Sundowners" in 1959) during the cruise on the USS Shangri-La in 1958.

The Tiger is one of Falcon's better toolings in my opinion. The metal content is quite high and the landing gear modules avoid the problem of assembling "fiddly bits". I particularly like the "area ruled" external fuel tanks which were unique to the Tiger. All parts of the model fit together well without any issues and the paint quality was problem free. I also like the fact that Falcon matched the grey paint so that the model will dispaly well with any Century Wings or Hobby Master USN model. Falcon Models still does not provide pilot figures. I have used a Hobby Master Pilot in my photos.

Overall, a great model and highly recommended to complete any USN collection.

Dan
Wink

Below: Seen with Falcon's first F11F Release "Mach Busters"

Back to top Go down

REVIEW: Falcon Models FA7228004 US Navy Grumman F11F-1 Tiger, VA-156 "Iron Tigers", USS Shangri-La, 1958
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1