The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS & GUESTS! The Model Aircraft Collector Forum will be permanently shut down effective October 31st.

Share | 

Let The Chips Fall Where They May----or Should.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Epap2

PostSubject: Let The Chips Fall Where They May----or Should.   Tue Jul 25 2017, 16:34

While I do many code 3s on diecast warbird models as well as a number of kit-makes I purchase on eBay, I rarely go in for chipping effects---but I do some and, perhaps, a few samples will be of interest.

Since these are mostly finished models---- I can't do chipping the usual modeler's way---by pre-painting the metalllic paint, then pulling or chipping off the final topside coat to reveal the "chips". Instead, I do my regular staining and oiling effects first, then begin to apply very small dabs---or, in some cases, irregular streaks----of slightly thinned aluminum paint in those places where the real chipping was mostly likely to take place---the wing roots, leading edges of the wings, prop blades, gas ports and hatches, ammunition bays, etc. Often, I smudge the spots into s sheen, but in many cases they amalgamate into a multi-dabbed irregular patch that hopefully resembles the real thing. Anyway, here are a few examples. First, a 1:144th scale Corgi Sunderland:

[img]http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif[
Back to top Go down
Epap2

PostSubject: Re: Let The Chips Fall Where They May----or Should.   Tue Jul 25 2017, 16:43

Sorry, guys, I can't get the pictures to show up.
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Let The Chips Fall Where They May----or Should.   Tue Jul 25 2017, 17:33

EP, it looks like part of the link has been deleted. Can I suggest that you try again but make sure that when you post the link it has [ximg] at the beginning and [x/img] at the end but without the 'x' in either.

I hope that helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
Epap2

PostSubject: Re: Let The Chips Fall Where They May----or Should.   Tue Jul 25 2017, 17:50

Thanks, DCR. I've tried about five different methods to get the pictures to show up but no dice so far. I must be doing something wrong as this is not happening on other sites. Will keep trying.
Back to top Go down

Let The Chips Fall Where They May----or Should.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1