The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS & GUESTS! The Model Aircraft Collector Forum will be permanently shut down effective October 31st.

Share | 

REVIEW: Corgi AA39704 RAF Hawker Hurricane IIc, No.34 Squadron, F/L Jimmy Whalen RCAF, DFC, SEAC, 1944

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ACpilot

PostSubject: REVIEW: Corgi AA39704 RAF Hawker Hurricane IIc, No.34 Squadron, F/L Jimmy Whalen RCAF, DFC, SEAC, 1944   Wed Jul 26 2017, 17:23

November 22, 2014

Corgi AA39704
Royal Air Force Hawker Hurricane IIc, No.34 Squadron, HW840
Flight Lieutenant Jimmy Whalen RCAF, DFC
South East Asia Command (SEAC), 1944
1/72 Scale

Released as part of the 2014 Corgi Catalogue.

I decided to add this to my Canadian Collection because although this Hurricane served in a RAF Squadron, the pilot was a member of the RCAF.

Flight Lieutenant James Henry (Jimmy) Whalen DFC was born in my hometown of Vancouver, British Columbia. He served as a member of the RCAF in RAF formations in both Europe and Ceylon.

An excellent account of his wartime service can be found in the link below.

http://www.canadianwings.com/whalen/

Sadly, Jimmy lost his life on 18 April 1944, 5 days before his 24th birthday, during the Battle for Kohima. He had carried out 176 sorties against the enemy, 107 being over enemy territory and 23 at night. He had to his credit 3 ME-109s destroyed and 1 damaged whilst flying from England and 3 Japanese Navy Val Type 99s destroyed over Ceylon.

In 2013, the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight painted their aircraft (PZ865 and the last Hurricane built) to represent Jimmy Whalen's aircraft.

There were no issues with the model. The paint was great and all the parts fit together well. The canopy fit was particularly good. While some may deride the gap in the tail - it really isn't all that noticeable in this scale.

Overall, a very nice model by Corgi and easily recommended.

Dan
Wink

Below: The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's Hurricane painted to represent Jimmy Whalen's aircraft.

Below: The artwork on the nose of Whalen's Hurricane featured a closed fist holding a lightning bolt with 6 Victory symbols (3 German and 3 Japanese).

Back to top Go down

REVIEW: Corgi AA39704 RAF Hawker Hurricane IIc, No.34 Squadron, F/L Jimmy Whalen RCAF, DFC, SEAC, 1944
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1