The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

National Museum of the Marine corps locatedjust below DC - October 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: National Museum of the Marine corps locatedjust below DC - October 2016   Sat Feb 18 2017, 22:58

On the drive home Monday we were able to spend more time here as it turns out the transport museum at Fort Eustis is closed on Monday.    A lot had changed since my last trip and a lot of construction is going on.  I can't say enough about this museum.  Its well laid out and the exhibits use sound and even temperature to pull the viewer in.    It starts with the revolution and progresses through each conflict the marines were involved in.  Artifacts, guns, uniforms, dioramas with sound etc.    Below Washington DC just off the ramp so you can not miss it.  Lots of places to eat and get gas close by.   Don't try to do the Smithsonian  at Dulles and this in one day as due to the road conditions you will have to shortchange one or the other.    Take your time.   My pics are skewed towards aircraft of course but there is so much more there.

The have a screen on the belly of the A4 showing a film.    Something we all need in our man caves.

When you get to Korea you go into a room through glass doors and the colder air hits you, right away.  The Chosin battle has sight , sound and cold , tracer fire  etc.  

National Museum of the Marine corps locatedjust below DC - October 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1