The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Mission 7: Hasegawa P-47D Rzorback

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pmmaker

PostSubject: Mission 7: Hasegawa P-47D Rzorback   Sat Jul 29 2017, 15:57

Since I'd like to get two kits built, I started a bit early to work on my group build model(s).  Unlike some, I just can't do two models at once - my brain just won't focus that way no matter how hard I try to do so.  So today I started the preliminary work on this kit:

My work focused on three tasks:
Prepaint the wings, tanks, bombs, and horizontal control surfaces.

Then I masked and painted the red and white rudder and the olive drab coloring on the fuselage;

And lastly, I masked, painted, and decaled the nose.  Since the decals are over 60 years old and looked to be in extremely bad shape, I wanted to be sure the chief head marking would be usable.  Thankfully, I was able to save these markings and was able to use them.

Now I will begin painting the zinc chromate interiors and start to build the cockpit, landing gear, and wings.

pmmaker

pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Mission 7: Hasegawa P-47D Rzorback   Mon Sep 04 2017, 10:01

Well, finally finished this one off yesterday.  An unexpected long duration build due to technical issues and a general lack of enthusiasm on my part.

Technical issues:  This was an original Japanese release of this kit by Hasegawa.  The box had lots of Japanese characters showing this to be a VERY old kit.  As such, the decals were horrendous and rather unusable.  The problem was this particular aircraft was the scheme I WANTED to build.  With no after-market decals available, I had to use these.  That meant a lot of extra work, scrounging, and hand painting and piecing together to get some markings that looked okay.

Generally, the build went well.  All the parts go together nicely.  Filling and sanding is limited to the fuselage seams and the wing roots.  I used a fine saw and cut my canopy to be able to have an open canopy display.  Overall, building this model was a bit of fun despite my heart not really being in it.  I used Testors olive drab and aircraft grey in shake cans for the painting - something I generally don't do, but found I actually liked.

So here are some poor pictures of the completed build:

pmmaker

rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Mission 7: Hasegawa P-47D Rzorback   Mon Sep 04 2017, 17:47

Pmmaker, you should be well pleased with this model, the Testors shake cans do a good job and your work with the Indian Head must have take some expertise. I hope you regain your enthusiasm for the hobby. We need you.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Mission 7: Hasegawa P-47D Rzorback   Mon Sep 04 2017, 18:13

Thanks John.

Long summer with lots of things going on. I've got no more display space and I'm trying to sell both kits and die-casts off in order to make a few bucks and clear inventory. When I retire in a few years, my wife and I want to sell the house and downsize. I figure I'd get a jump on getting rid of things that I can't take with me.

pmmaker

Mission 7: Hasegawa P-47D Rzorback
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1