The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS & GUESTS! The Model Aircraft Collector Forum will be permanently shut down effective October 31st.

Share | 

Tamiya 1/35 Stuart

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpler

PostSubject: Tamiya 1/35 Stuart   Sun Aug 13 2017, 02:25

This is a U.S.LIght TANK M3 from Tamiya. Most of the reviews I found were less than impressed with the kit, most of the complaints were about shape of the turret and decals that were from a non existent unit. Many complaints about the tracks and I found them very difficult to join but apart from that only had trouble with the suspension. Could not handle the small parts and made a mess of the first kit and have put it away to finish it as a battle damage for a diorama.  I learnt from my mistakes with the first kit and had more luck with this one. There are three mounting points and they have to be perfectly aligned  and the trick seems to be to put each unit together and fit it to the lower hull before it has time to set as this allows some time to realign the parts. A small error makes it impossible to fit.
I under coated it with a Humbrol acrylic primer spray can but I will not be buying much more it as over the last twelve months it has risen from $10 per can to $16. Did the top coat with Tamiya Acrylic Olive Drab followed with a light spray of Tamiya Khaki using a ten percent mix with Tamiya thinners. I tried to use acrylics some time back but gave it away as a lost cause but am now having some success with it by using Tamiya thinners in the ratios from their website. Should have tried that before.

Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/35 Stuart   Tue Aug 22 2017, 09:54

Looks good, I like the subtle variations in colour you've achieved on an all-over Olive Drab tank.

PostSubject: Re: Tamiya 1/35 Stuart   Wed Aug 23 2017, 01:19

Thanks for the comment. I was pleased with the result but I wish I could remember exactly how I did it. Did it while watching TV and that was the result. Building a M5A1 for the group build and it is one step away from the rubbish bin. Tried to paint it the same way and then sprayed it with a gloss coat before the decals and the paint was eaten away. Time is running out for the group build not sure yet what to do.
Back to top Go down

Tamiya 1/35 Stuart
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1