The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS & GUESTS! The Model Aircraft Collector Forum will be permanently shut down effective October 31st.

Share | 

Group Build Mission 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rumpler

PostSubject: Group Build Mission 7   Sun Aug 13 2017, 03:03

I have started on a M5A1 Tamiya Tank. It is simple and small so I hope I should finish on time. Experience building a M3 is coming in handy as I know what problems I will encounter. Will post it as I go.

Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Group Build Mission 7   Sun Sep 03 2017, 01:55

Despite my experience building the M3 version I ran into a lot of problems with this kit in particular the suspension. The kit itself is very old but with a bit of skill can be made up into a very presentable model. The parts are well molded with a minimum of flash and most parts fit well. The worst part was I bought the kit from Hobbylinc in the States with a couple of M3's and they cost about $25 each by the time they got here and now they are on sale here for under $10.
The suspension requires three parts to be glued together and then glued to the lower hull with no room for error. I have trouble with the small parts as I have lost some usage of my hands and will stick to Tigers in future. I had ruined one M3 so knew how to go about it with this one but still took several goes to install them but one unit was out by a fraction and caused trouble when it came time to fit the side covers as the front tractor wheels are almost a press fit and I had to shave the inside of the covers.
Sprayed it with a 2:1 mix of Tamiya Olive Drab and Tamiya thinners. Experience has showed it is best to follow the Tamiya web site and not advice from other sources.
then disaster struck, could not find the Micro sol and instead sprayed a gloss clear from a Testors can and within a few minutes the paint bubbled and ran like liquid chewing gum.
Left it alone for a week until I calmed down and then washed it with acetone and the sprayed it again. When it had dried put a small amount of gun metal on it and wiped it off straight away. This gave it a worn metal look. I had some health problems in the middle of it all and lost a SD card with the early build photos so can only post some of the finished photos.
On a happier note went to a hobby show on the weekend and found a 1/35 Academy early Model Tiger1 for $35 which is a bargain. It was unopened and was in a row of kits 15 high and 10 wide and it was the middle of the bottom row but they pulled it out for me.

Back to top Go down
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Group Build Mission 7   Sun Sep 03 2017, 02:01

PS. That mortar crew is a part of the kit. Also the photos are taking a long time to come up. Not sure why.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: Group Build Mission 7   Sun Sep 03 2017, 07:30

Looks fantastic John. I tried making tanks at one time, but I found it a difficult endeavor. My results were not very good and I quickly decided it wasn't for me.

This build shows how a gifted builder with excellent skills and a lot of patience can produce a beautiful replica. Your attention to details including the markings and extra equipment make this model great. You are to be commended for taking the time in building such a nice model. The display diorama just adds so much and makes your model even more realistic.

pmmaker

rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Group Build Mission 7   Sun Sep 03 2017, 23:58

Thanks for the comments pmmaker, much appreciated. Having trouble finishing aircraft at the moment and building tanks so I can finish some models at least. Have found that Tamiya kits seem to be the easiest except for the cheaper ones which tend to be old kits reissued . Over a period of time the painting and in particular the weathering has become the important part of building them and it is rare to see a factory fresh paint job. The move to Tamiya acrylic paints for spraying has been a big help for me. I prefer Modelmaster for brush painting. I joined a tank forum a couple of months ago but gave up in a week as the standard is very high and most of the time I did not know what they were talking about and found it to be a different world compared to this forum. I have two tanks left to build and will try to finish a couple of aircraft after that and hope the forum is still going in some form. Thanks again for your kind comments. John.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Group Build Mission 7   Mon Sep 04 2017, 07:13

I really like this model John. You did a very good job and your diorama adds so much realism to the model.

I myself am not an armour guy. But the two brick-and-mortar stores I frequent have examples of armour model kits built by some very talented builders. Every time I go to one of these stores, I just can't resist the urge to stop by and spend time marveling at these models. I never could build a tank to the same level of quality that you have done.

Please don't hesitate to share your tank builds with us. We aren't an "armour" based forum, but I know some of our members are into armour. I'm sure we will all enjoy your builds no matter the subject matter.

I'm pretty sure the forum will be sticking around. It is not taking too much of my time so I'll just keep it active.

Allan

dragon
Back to top Go down
http://tmacf.forumotion.com
rumpler

PostSubject: Re: Group Build Mission 7   Mon Sep 04 2017, 18:00

Thanks for your comments Allan, good to hear the forum will be around for a while. I have started another tank but after that I have five aircraft kits that I started and could not finish and I will have another go at them. Have a 1/48 Lancaster and a 1/32 Bristol and I will have to make the effort, they are worth doing.
Back to top Go down

Group Build Mission 7
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1