The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Nj museum of the National Guard - Sea Girt Unit and Monmouth revolutionary war Battlefield - Summer 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Nj museum of the National Guard - Sea Girt Unit and Monmouth revolutionary war Battlefield - Summer 2016   Sat Feb 18 2017, 23:07

Due to weather knocking out the Bethel Air show Ty and I went to see this museum in Sea Girt NJ .    If I can get pictures to load on this old laptop I will post, but this is a nice little stop spending about 2 hours there and then hitting Monmouth on the way home just off of I195.

The Guard museum has weapons on display from the French and Indian wars

through WWII.  Outside they have tanks from a Sherman to a Patton , an F4 and F84, though both are a bit worse for wear with what appears to be either vandalism or Sandy damage,  a couple of helo's,   a tracked AA and arty vehicles and a  WWII German  Pak-40 if my identification is correct.    

They have trucks , jeeps and more armor outside as well.

Their gem oddly enough is the civil war submarine few know about. It was  called the Intelligent Whale in its day.    Of all places it resides here on permanent loan from the Navy.     It was built and tested near by in the Passaic and Hudson rivers and while it worked  the Navy decided it did not want it.         The docent had a really interesting history to share about it, including bribery, hijacking a mistress and murder.   The interior is surprisingly roomy compared to the CSS Hunley,

It is a tribute to the volunteers who are still getting back on their feet after Sandy.   You  
can see the waterline in the storage area where they keep many exhibits not visible to the public but available for the asking.  The waterline was almost 5 feet up on the wall !!!!

The Monmouth battlefield pavilion and museum  is great with a short film about the battle and an audio/visual topography map that lights up showing the marching directions, cannonades and skirmish lines.  Guns  uniforms and nice presentations overall.      I was impressed with it.    

No charge for either museum but they do have a donation box

Ken

Nj museum of the National Guard - Sea Girt Unit and Monmouth revolutionary war Battlefield - Summer 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1