The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What have you purchased this week?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Thu Mar 23 2017, 08:59

Nice looking Tomcat, Tom. What scale is that? I keep toying with the idea of building the new Tamiya 1/48 F-14 which has been reviewed as being 'the best plastic kit ever produced'. It's a fair amount of money, though.

TomMarkert wrote:
I am collecting the planes used with the "Jolly Rogers" scheme on them, this one being flown off the USS Nimitz....

Are you going to add 'Skipper Riley' from Disney's Planes to your collection? Wink

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Thu Mar 23 2017, 10:10

It is 1/72 scale. A 1/48 kit would be quite large and detailed I presume. $75-$85 isn't bad for a good model. It seems to have decent reviews.

Skipper Reilly? Hmmm...probably not, even though it is a Navy Corsair...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Thu Mar 23 2017, 11:04

TomMarkert wrote:
Skipper Reilly? Hmmm...probably not, even though it is a Navy Corsair...

Tom

It actually has VF-17 on the fuselage and a representation of the skull/crossbones on the cowling. Zvezda make a kit if you're interested...

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Thu Mar 23 2017, 13:34

I have that in 1/32 scale...and 1/18th I think!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sun Mar 26 2017, 10:27

My LHS was having a 25% off sale this weekend so I picked this up for a reasonable cost. The decision was not influenced in any way by my having driven past two of the real aircraft on the way...  It's the old Heller kit with new parts for the upgraded engines/tail, and is moulded in yellow plastic. Great decal sheet though which includes the dayglo striping.

Last edited by Migrant on Fri Jul 14 2017, 10:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sun Mar 26 2017, 11:26

I remember seeing the fire planes at the CNE in Toronto back in 1973 or so. I think they were flying A-20s and other vintage aircraft back then. They did a demonstration on the waterfront, bombing a fire on a barge. I am not sure if CL-415 would have been there. I mostly just remember the vivid yellow paint!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Fri Apr 07 2017, 17:39

This landed on my doorstep today, an eBay purchase from Japan. I have an EP-3 conversion kit to use it with. I hadn't realized how big this thing was, though.

Last edited by Migrant on Fri Jul 14 2017, 10:49; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sat Apr 08 2017, 06:06

To add to my night-fighter theme I preorderd the new Corgi Me-262B fighter:

Will do a review when it eventually does come in.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sat Apr 08 2017, 08:45

Mike, I have toyed with buying this one. It looks like a nice kit. Curious to see how it goes together.

PM, nice looking ME-262. It looks really sharp with the paint work and radar antenna up front.

This week's buys include this...a Hobby Master Iraqi Mig 21, called the "F-14 Killer" from the Iran-Iraq War as the Iranians were still flying F-14s the US sold them...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Fri Apr 21 2017, 14:18

Well, the boat-building bug has bitten me hard so I went on a buying binge. I've picked-up some nice kits but I cannot seem to start any right away. Work has gotten in the way of everything lately and, if that wasn't bad enough, I need to order paints as they cannot be found anywhere locally. So frustrating. No

Here's what is now in the stash:

1. MPC 1/600 scale kit of the WWI Dreadnought, HMS Iron Duke. This "Super-Dreadnought" was the flagship for the Grand Fleet during the Battle of Jutland. Very cool! It is an old model (date stamped 1984), but it gets generally good reviews. There will be some necessary alterations to the kit to make it into the 1916 version of the ship (the kit models it circa 1920-21), and a couple of minor inaccuracies to be corrected, but it looks like it will make a nice build.

2. Kits Remembered 1/250 scale kit of a Victorian-era British Torpedo Ram Ironclad. Yes, something completely different (I'm happy I can also indulge my passion for offbeat models with warships What a Face ). I know nothing of this manufacturer and online info is also lacking (very few pics of completed builds or anything else really). It is somewhat toy-like, and is motorized, but I'll see what I can do with it. I'm not going to paint it as the poor instructions call for, rather I hope to build it in the Royal Navy colors of the period. Matt Ochre is a very hard color to find for some reason (needed for the stack, masts, etc.) so I need to order that online.

3. Tamiya 1:700 scale kit of the WWII Battleship, HMS Nelson. Only two Nelson-class battleships were built (HMS Nelson and Rodney) and they are a design I've always loved to look at. They were slow and didn't handle all that well, but they look so cool. Cool I should be able to start this one while I await the paints I need.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sat Apr 22 2017, 07:32

Uh-oh...you got it bad! The kits sound great and diverse. The only drawback to boat building it the entirely different colors of paint you will need, especially if you paint camo patterns. I have a drawer full of various greys just for US Navy ships. Crazy, but you will enjoy it!

You might like Vallejo paints for small projects. They are water based but heavily pigmented. Great paints.

http://www.thewarstore.com/vallejo-model-color-paint.html

Good luck and can't wait to see you builds!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sun Apr 23 2017, 00:43

Thanks for the tip about Vallejo paints and the link Tom. Much appreciated. Very Happy

You are so right about needing odd paints for doing ship models. I just placed an order for the Buff Ochre and Matt Wine paints from Humbrol. They are for the ironclad and Iron Duke respectively. I don't anticipate running out of them anytime soon. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sun Apr 23 2017, 07:10

Ships require completely different colors than planes. Seems if we start building ship models, we need to spend more money for paints too. Can get costly, but if one feels it is worth it, then that's what must be done.

Good luck with your builds propwash - I'm looking forward to seeing them done.

pmmaker

TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sun Apr 23 2017, 07:27

You guys are bugging me now!

I have a drawer full of Vallejo, Humbrol and Testors Navy colors begging to be used! I need to get at my ship models now. They are in a small closet with a drawing table full of 1/72 diecast jets parked in the way. Moving this table is no small feat, but you guys are pushing my buttons hard! Lol

I am really trying NOT to buy more ship models...but I may...I forget what I have in the closet now. affraid

Tom Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sun Apr 23 2017, 10:38

TomMarkert wrote:
You guys are bugging me now!

I have a drawer full of Vallejo, Humbrol and Testors Navy colors begging to be used! I need to get at my ship models now. They are in a small closet with a drawing table full of 1/72 diecast jets parked in the way. Moving this table is no small feat, but you guys are pushing my buttons hard! Lol

I am really trying NOT to buy more ship models...but I may...I forget what I have in the closet now. affraid

Tom Very Happy

Turnabout is fair play!  Wink

You got us into this with ALL your pictures of your AWESOME ship builds!  lol! It's all your fault!!!!!

Let's face it, we are all good for and at the same time bad for each other.  We inspire each other to try new things - the good.  We get caught up in something new and then we get carried away - the bad.  But we are in this together.  I'd suggest going through the closet and seeing what's there.  You'll probably see ship models you've long forgotten that you even had.  It will probably be a nice diversion for a while - I know my ship build was for me.  sunny

pmmaker

What have you purchased this week?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next