The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What have you purchased this week?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sun Apr 23 2017, 15:14

PMM wrote: "You got us into this with ALL your pictures of your AWESOME ship builds! lol! ! It's all your fault!!!!!"

lol! I agree!

In fact, I agree with the rest of your post as well. I have to admit to a small degree of ennui building aircraft models so the shipbuilding has been a welcome change.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Mon Apr 24 2017, 17:34

True, true, true! Our evil influences over each other...lol. The ship builds are a nice diversion from the planes. I am glad I was able to inspire some constructive therapy. It never hurts to be diverse!

Tom

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sat May 06 2017, 10:30

Ollie's had another Lindberg model sale, purchased a 1:72 Focke Wulf FW 190.  Also, due to all the posting of ship models (doggonit!!!) I purchased a 1:525 scale USS Yorktown..........I do not DO ships......but it DOES come with 32 fighters!  At this point, I really cannot tell if they are Wildcats or Hellcats, though one picture of them in the directions are certainly Hellcats!  Only paid $13 for it, and $5 for the Focke Wulf.
Back to top Go down
Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sat May 06 2017, 10:39

By the way, last weekend I was delighted to find the Doubleday hardbound copy of James McCudden's Flying Fury for $1.50. I have the paperback version, which is now dispensable.
Back to top Go down
pmmaker

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sun May 07 2017, 06:22

Captain Eddie wrote:
Ollie's had another Lindberg model sale, purchased a 1:72 Focke Wulf FW 190.  Also, due to all the posting of ship models (doggonit!!!) I purchased a 1:525 scale USS Yorktown..........I do not DO ships......but it DOES come with 32 fighters!  At this point, I really cannot tell if they are Wildcats or Hellcats, though one picture of them in the directions are certainly Hellcats!  Only paid $13 for it, and $5 for the Focke Wulf.
bom

Depends on which "Yorktown" is represented. If it is the one lost at Midway, then you've got Wildcats. If your model is the "Essex" class carrier that entered service in 1943, then you're dealing with Hellcats. Either way you have a famous carrier to build if you ever decide to do so.

pmmaker

Captain Eddie

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sun May 07 2017, 07:01

Pmmaker, I decided to look up pics of the two, as the model itself does not say. It is the CV-10 Essex class....a bit smaller superstructure, plus has the side elevator. As far as I can tell, the Yorktown that went down at Midway had no side elevator. That being stated, the aircraft are NOT good representatives of the Hellcat, Makes me wonder if they used the same die for various model aircraft carriers.
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sun May 07 2017, 07:49

Right. Yorktown CV-5, was a converted Battle Cruiser. Yorktown class. Yorktown CV-10, was an Essex class, modernized later on with angled deck. She still exists at Patriots Point, SC, as a museum ship.

It was also used in filming "Tora,Tora,Tora"....angled deck and all! I have a friend who was a cook on board during the filming. Many US sailors were resentful of the Japanese painted planes and "Japanese makeup" the ship received during the filming. WW2 was still fresh in their minds...

Tom

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Thu May 11 2017, 10:18

You guys are a bad influence. This just arrived from HobbyLink Japan:-

I bought this particular ship mainly because of its aircraft content, which includes Emily and Mavis flying boats.

Considering the size, the detail is amazing. This is a crop from the pic above and shows the top of the Emily.

Other 1/700 aircraft on the sprue include Alf, Dave, Jake and Pete floatplanes.

I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing when it comes to ships, so this should be... interesting.

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Thu May 11 2017, 21:24

Lots of little parts! Nice, a seaplane tender. I did the US counterpart, the Pine Island, in a larger scale. The Emily and Mavis must be a trip in 1/700 scale.

I don't think you will have any issues doing ships. Can't wait to see it... Very Happy

Tom

PostSubject: SS Gato   Thu May 18 2017, 19:03

Ollie's got in some more models, picked up a Lindberg 1/240 scale WW II Fleet Submarine Gato for $7.99 (less 15% with the coupon we received by mail). Gotta Love Ollie's!!
Back to top Go down
TomMarkert

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Fri May 19 2017, 14:13

Nice kit, Eddie. I have that one too. US sub kits are a bit rare as opposed to German stuff.

I picked up a couple 1/72 Soviet kits by Heller and Minicraft. They are older but decent looking kits.

Tom

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Sat Jul 01 2017, 14:54

I'm going to indulge in my love of Republic's P-47 Thunderbolt this summer with a couple of fun builds.

Both from Hasegawa in 72nd scale.

pmmaker

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Tue Jul 04 2017, 10:28

Nice choices PMM,looking forward to seeing those built. Likewise the two MiGs, Tom: more natural metal finishes or are you going for camo schemes?

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Fri Jul 07 2017, 17:53

Added one more - LS 1/72nd scale G3M1 Type 96 Japanese Navy bomber. I built this kit back in my late teen years and remember that it was a fun build. My Nell will be painted in the two tone brown / green of the Japanese Navy during the early years of WWII.

pmmaker

Migrant

PostSubject: Re: What have you purchased this week?   Fri Jul 07 2017, 21:11

Nice one, PMM, great subject. Does that kit have recessed panel lines?

What have you purchased this week?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next