The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

California Air Museum Road Trip Santa Monica

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: California Air Museum Road Trip Santa Monica    Sun Feb 19 2017, 00:09

Lots of changes in the California museums since I was last there on my own about 20 years ago. Ty and I stayed a night on the Queen Mary and took the WWII tour. If you have never been on the ship I would recommend a nights stay . It's not bad compared to some of the area hotels and since we were there during mid week when it was not busy they upgraded us to a state room on the bay side. Next to it is the dome where the Spruce Goose was housed.

To start here is the new museum at Santa Monica. They were on the other side of the airfield on my last visit. They have lost their Swordfish, ME-109 and Hurricane as well as a few other exhibits. They are not allowed to have fly ins to help drum up support as some of the others museums do, so this hurts them in raising funds. The did have the board room of the Douglas company recreated and that was very interesting as it was a round table with a globe in the center. I wish I had taken a photo. Its worth the visit to see just this. Had lunch at the Spitfire Grill with all the local employees and pilots hanging out there. I like these old places , good food and the atmosphere is great as you can hear aircraft coming in and out, original buildings with old pics on the walls....

All pics are with my I phone, so excuse the poor focus on some.

PIc's from the 90's .....The original museum on the other side of the airfield had a Swordfish and this Yak which I have never seen an example of in the USA.  I think it was pretty much gutted at the time.     Still looking for the Swordfish pics.   The Me-109 went somewhere else as did the Hurricane.

California Air Museum Road Trip Santa Monica
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1