The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DCRanger

PostSubject: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Feb 19 2017, 10:07

A Christmas present that I opened and started on New Year's Day.

I was going to scan the decal sheet but it's too big to go in the scanner.

In the box are 430 parts on 13 sprues plus another 19 parts on 2 clear plastic sprues.

I'm going to need some help so I have ordered this.

It seems to be getting hard to find but I got mine from Pocketmags which has the advantage of being able to read it online while I wait for the printed version to arrive.

https://pocketmags.com/modellers-reference-library-magazine/how-to-build-airfix-typhoon

I'm intimidated already and wondering if a year is enough time to finish it.
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Feb 19 2017, 10:09

Week 1: Well, so far so good. This is a really good kit and goes together much better than the 1/24 Hurricane. The wing spars inter lock with the cockpit frame very cleverly and thus make a firm base for the rest of the build. The only bit that caused a real problem was fitting the seat and the armour plated bulkhead behind it. I followed the instructions but had to take it out and leave it overnight while I had a think about it. It eventually went in but looks a bit messy because of the amount of glue that went where it shouldn't be. Hopefully I can tidy that up a bit. Still some work to be done on this section but hopefully I will be able to start on the engine some time later this week.

My patented method for holding the seat in place until the glue set.

Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Feb 19 2017, 10:10

Not as much progress this week as I had hoped but the bits I have done have been time consuming. These bits are all to go in what is already quite a crowded cockpit. The main amount of time was spent on the instrument panel and I really struggled with the decals which are tiny. The white ones were difficult to see on the sheet but couldn't be seen at all when they had been soaked. Placing them was also tricky, even when they were in place they would move out of place very easily while they were still wet. Any attempt to remove the excess liquid resulted in them moving or getting stuck to the tissue.

Finished the pilot even though he won't be sitting in the aircraft. The Dof E will appreciate a bit of company I think.

The instructions say that the holster should be leather but it looksto me very much like a 38 pattern webbing holster.

Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Feb 19 2017, 10:11

The cockpit section is now complete.  I'm pleasantly surprised by the sturdiness of the finished structure, far superior the the 1/24 Hurricane. I followed the Airfix sequence of assembly but were I to build another one I would leave the seat till last but doing plenty of fit checks along the way to make sure that the final fit of the seat was OK. A lot of work has been put into producing the instructions, perhaps a little too much. There are a lot of narrow arrows that don't make the exact attachment points at all clear. Cropped close up images lead to  quite a bit of turning the sheet around to find out which way is up! Towards the end I struggled quite a bit as it is a very crowded space  with a couple of pieces becoming detached while trying to fit other bits but by my standards it is OK but could have been better.

The following pics are not the greatest but I was too idle to do a proper set up and I used a hand held  'point and shoot' camera.

The seat belts were the reason for me asking about the super glue/talc mix. I detached them from the sprue OK but they both snapped while I was attempting to trim the excess plastic from the sprue attachment points. My attemtps with poly glue weren't entirely successful but to the MKI eyeball they are just about acceptable - though some may disagree Very Happy.

Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Feb 19 2017, 10:11

The engine is now almost complete with the exception of the exhausts. I'm assuming there is some logic in this but time will tell. Generally speaking although time consuming it hasn't been as difficult as expected but towards to end space again became very tight.

Here we have the basic engine block assembly. For those who are building but not got this far yet I think to is worth mentioning that although the two sides look identical they aren't. There is a small rectangular hole and care needs to be taken to ensure that they are towards the top and towards the rear.

The engine block with all the twiddly bits added. The strappy bit over the top has an attachment point at each end which fit into the aforementioned holes.

Next up will be the radiator assembly.
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Feb 19 2017, 10:12

Just as an aside, I borrowed a couple of quilting clips from Mrs DCR and was so impressed that I bought some for myself. They have a flat surface on one side and curved on the other which makes akward shapes a lot easier to hold together.

Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Feb 19 2017, 10:13

The coolant system added plus one or two more bits to the engine. I thought the engine would be the most difficult part but this proved just as challenging. The tolerances are very small as I found out when it came to connecting the air intake to the supercharger in a very tight space which I think was due to the position of the engine being very slightly out of place. When dry fitting the engine it all went well but that wasn't quite the case when I added glue and I knew it wasn't but thought it wouldn't be too much of a problem. How wrong can you be? I managed to sort it with with a bit sweating and a few harsh words. Smile

I'm still struggling with the instruction sheet. There were two pipes from the radiator to a place under the engine that I couldn't see. I eventually got one in and the second one was quite easy though I have no idea if they are correctly positioned under the engine. Going by the fit of other parts and the tight tolerances I wouldn't be at all surprised if the were exactly in the right place. They certainly felt right when I had them in what appears from the outside to be correct.

Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Feb 19 2017, 10:15

The wing interiors completed. Having sung the praises of the kit I found that the gun bays were a little disappointing mainly because it is one the the features that viewers will be drawn to. Don't get me wrong, it's OK but the guns and ammo feeds are not as crisp and well defined as all the other parts I have dealt with so far. Add to that I made the mistake of painting the ammo feeds black and then adding the yellow resulting in several coats of yellow to get the coverage. I should of course have done it the other way round. Hey Ho.

Incidentally, the yellow is Humbrol 82 Pale Yellow. This would have been a more appropriate colour for those bright yellow bombs in Corgi's Stirlings.

Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Feb 19 2017, 10:16

Well that wasn't too difficult. Smile
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Wed Feb 22 2017, 14:52

The lower wing tip and upper wing surface added and all of a sudden it looks even bigger than anticipated. A good bit of the interior is now covered and will never be seen again - unless it meets with an accident!

I have included a 1/72 Tiffie for a size comparison.

The propeller is out of sequence but it was something to do whilst I was waiting for the glue to dry. Another interesting size comparison.

Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Wed Mar 01 2017, 10:13

Decision made, I went for the full engine on display option. I also decided on the larger "Tempest" tail feathers.

The fuselage and tail surfaces added. Initially I was concerned about the strength of the joint but it turned out to be just as sturdy as the rest of the kit. The two halves of the tail fin were unusual in having a generous flange which made a strong joint to the rear fuselage. The fuselage was in three sections rather than the usual two. This allowed a generous addition of white PVA to the the topmost two parts from the inside which also acted as a filler. With hind sight this was probably not necessary as the third section when fitted removed any concerns I had.

The tail surfaces went together well and all the bits that are supposed to be movable do. This is almost certainly the first model I have ever built with movable trim tabs.

The exhausts have finally been fitted, they just need a bit of weathering powder on the ends. No idea why they were not included when building the engine when it would have been a bit easier.

Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Mar 05 2017, 16:22

That propellor comparison shot says it all, that thing is huge. Beautiful work though.

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sun Mar 05 2017, 19:50

I've been following this build and the results keep getting better and more amazing as you progress DCR. Very impressive (and to quote Migrant, "That propellor comparison shot says it all"...).
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Mon Mar 06 2017, 05:18

The most tedious part to date and they are not finished yet. Sixteen RP's (8 HE + 8 SAP) each has two sides, each half has five attachment points all of which had to be sanded down when they had been removed from the sprus. Then there were the seams which also needed sanding. Assembled they didn't show the same quality has the rest of the kit. Some of them were warped but I though when glued together they would be OK. They were better but still needed a touch of brute strength to make them acceptable.

I decided to paint the bombs as well just for the sake of completeness.

Back to top Go down
MikeD

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Mon Mar 06 2017, 17:56

I love the way this is turning out DC Ranger! Great job! Keep the pics coming!
Back to top Go down

Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next