The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Mon Mar 20 2017, 07:29

It was all going so well. I've found that the fit of the bombs, tanks and RP's is not as good as the other bits which is odd as they are fairly straight forward. It's been very tedious fettling them, painting and adding small fiddly decals. For the last step I had the bright idea of using bits of spru pushed into a thick piece of styrene foam and hanging bits on them ready for spraying with a rattle can of matt varnish.

The result was what at first glance looked looked like varying levels of bloom and suspected I hadn't rattled the can long enough even though I had timed it for more than five minutes and annoyed Mrs DCR and the cat in doing so.

Further inspection though shows that it was probably a reaction of the spray to the foam?

Yet more rubbing down with micro-mesh removed the worst of the bloom but I'm still less than happy.
Back to top Go down
PBRStreetgang

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Tue Mar 21 2017, 19:22

The detail is outrageous John. Cool
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Tue Mar 21 2017, 23:57

Oh wow. I sure would never have seen that coming (the foam's reaction). Shocked The setback aside, it is still progressing nicely and is a build I am enjoying reading about.

One more thing, are the bands on the rockets decals or did you paint them? Either way, I'm not sure I have the patience to fiddle with them. They look wonderful though and add such cool detail.
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Wed Mar 22 2017, 02:56

PBRStreetgang wrote:
The detail is outrageous John. Cool
Certainly the most detailed model that I have ever built, more so than the 1/24 Hurricane but it has been very satisfying.The next big challenge I think will painting the D-Day stripes ............. Smile
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Wed Mar 22 2017, 03:21

Propwash wrote:
Oh wow. I sure would never have seen that coming (the foam's reaction). Shocked  The setback aside, it is still progressing nicely and is a build I am enjoying reading about.

One more thing, are the bands on the rockets decals or did you paint them? Either way, I'm not sure I have the patience to fiddle with them. They look wonderful though and add such cool detail.

That came as something of a shock but after repainting the tail fins and lots and lots of rubbing down they are getting back to what is I think is acceptable whilst preserving the decals.For rubbing down I used micro-mesh which I'm a big fan of with grades of 4000 to 12000 grit which is very fine and I have even used the finest grade on clear perspex in the past.

As to the bands I only painted the tips at the front, the rest is decals, four on each RP. The decals were the reason I went for the tedious job of rubbing down rather than simply repainting.

I have had one interesting suggestion from a very keen modeller on another site for stripping paint on the models. This was to soak the parts in Detol diluted with water and left to soak overnight. I'm told it takes the plastic back to an 'as new' state removing both enamel and acrylic paints, varnish and decals. I was tempted to try it but as I say, I wanted to preserve the decals. I don't know how widely known Detol is internationally known so for those who may be unfamiliar it is a non-bleach formula disinfectant liquid some times used for cleaning small cuts and scrapes - or at least it was when I was young.
Back to top Go down
Propwash

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Wed Mar 22 2017, 23:14

Thanks for the additional info and tips! Much appreciated DCR.
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Thu Apr 13 2017, 15:19

Thanks Mike.

The good weather has slowed progress but it now has stripes.

Does any one have any advice on the best way to get a good fix with the windscreen? Both the canopy and the windscreen are very thin, fragile and no locating pins or grooves. The canopy should be OK but the screen needs to be located precisely and firmly. Super glue is out because fogging would be likely. I have glue & Glaze but would that be strong enough given the painted surface and the thinness of the canopy?
Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Thu Apr 13 2017, 20:04

Looks absolutely superb, DC. Coating the clear parts with Future/Pledge should prevent them from fogging if you use CA glue.

Location : 8th Air Force region ~ Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk ~ >> EAST-ANGLIA, ENGLAND

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sat Apr 15 2017, 02:20

DCRanger wrote:
Thanks Mike.

The good weather has slowed progress but it now has stripes.

'

Man, that looks superb.... what a kit !

Plus a 'carbon-copy' of my avatar !!!!!!!! Wink

Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Sat Apr 15 2017, 04:29

Hornchurch wrote:

Plus a 'carbon-copy' of my avatar !!!!!!!!   Wink

Interesting. I'd like to see a larger version if you have one? I'm intrigued with it's origins too. Smile
Back to top Go down
DCRanger

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Thu Apr 20 2017, 06:57

The model is now up on it's legs. I thought I would use the angle of light this morning to show some of the panel and rivet details. The rivets are a mix of raised and flush and whilst the flush ones are OK I think with hindsight I should have rubbed down the raised ones at least a little bit. Not nearly as bad though as they were before being painted. What the photo's don't really show is the subtle textures on the surfaces. NB, I have increased the amount of contrast for illustration purposes.

Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Thu Apr 20 2017, 09:10

The surface detail looks amazing, even down to the stressed skin between the rows of rivets. Completely convincing (and achievable) in this big scale.

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Thu Apr 27 2017, 09:16

It's finished! It's not perfect but it has been a very enjoyable build and top marks to Airfix for what is a superb kit.

Some info on the aircraft provided by Airfix.:

Decal option ‘A’ D-Day Spearhead: MN666 ‘CG’ aircraft flown by Wing Commander Charles Green, No 121 Wing, Royal Airforce Holmsley South, Hampshire, England and B.5 Le Fresne-Camily, Lower Normandy, France, June 1944.

Reported on charge at 51 MU, RAF Lichfield on 6th May 1944, MN666 proceeded via 83 GSU, RAF Redhill, to 121 Wing at RAF Holmsley South, in the New Forest. It was flown on an 'air test' on 20th May by the Wg. Cdr. Flying, Charles Green, and adopted as his personal aircraft marked with his initials and rank pennant. Two weeks later it was painted with 'D-Day stripes' (smarter than overage!) and on the morning of 6th June 1944 Green led the first RP (Rocket Projectile) attacks on the German forces at the beachhead. Green clocked up 33 operational sorties in this aircraft before it was damaged by German shellfire on B.5 Advanced Landing Ground in Normandy and he took over a new Typhoon.

MN666 was retrieved from France and next reported with 3501 Servicing Unit, RAF Cranfield, presumably for repair. It may well have been while with this unit that the airframe was stripped of paint (as they are known to have prepared two shipped Tempests for trials at about the same time); the fabric-covered rudder was left in camouflage as over-painting would adversely affect the rudder balance. Whoever was responsible, it is known that MN666 was operated by its next unit, the Fighter Leader School at RAF Milfield (later RAF Tangmere), as the 'Silver Bullet', usually flown by the instructors. After serving from September 1944 for a year MN666 joined the swelling numbers of Typhoons at 51 MU, RAF Lichfield, where, after a year in storage it was broken down for scrap.

Back to top Go down
Migrant

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Thu Apr 27 2017, 12:03

What an outstanding piece of work DCR, you should be really proud of that. Really does look like the real thing, especially with the prop running! (Is that motorized, or just blurred during shooting?)

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon   Thu Apr 27 2017, 12:38

Migrant wrote:
What an outstanding piece of work DCR, you should be really proud of that. Really does look like the real thing, especially with the prop running! (Is that motorized, or just blurred during shooting?)

Thanks. Smile

I did motorise the Hurricane that I did a while but this one is just index finger powered. A quick flick and release the shutter.
Back to top Go down

Airfix 1/24 Scale Hawker Typhoon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next