The Model Aircraft Collector Forum

A friendly forum for hobbyists and collectors of die-cast and plastic kit aircraft replica models.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Museum of The Pacific - Pearl Harbor. Missouri and Arizona

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyushu J7W

PostSubject: Museum of The Pacific - Pearl Harbor. Missouri and Arizona   Sun Feb 19 2017, 10:20

In May I  had some frequent fliers and hotel points expiring so offered to take   Cindy to Hawaii.    We have been there before and she said you will just want to drag me up and down that darn volcano again and see all that history stuff so if you want go again,  take Ty.    Needless to say he was up for that.    ;-)

These are all taken with my I phone so uploads are much easier .

The  little Cub is the actual one  that was flying  on that morning and got a bit shot up but survived  while  the P-40 is a reproduction and the wreckage is what was left of the Zero that crash landed on one of the islands north of pearl where the crews hoped to be picked up by subs.   An interesting story as the local natives eventually killed the pilot.     link to the story .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_Incident

The Oklahoma Memorial is on the other side of the entrance to the Missouri.   Been there twice now and each time I have observed it gets  overlooked by the tourist crowds.  But at least they have something.  You can not get the the Utah  but I understand there is some sort of memorial there.    

We rented a car and went all over the island including a biplane ride from the north shore to pearl and back over Wheeler and Schofield barracks. The Stearman was being worked on so we went up in the Waco. This was at Dillingham airfield on the north shore. We followed the path the Japanese took, then over towards the radar station and the dirt strip on the north shore where some fighters got into the air. When your in that plane you get a real sense of how little time they had to react at all the bases.

Museum of The Pacific - Pearl Harbor. Missouri and Arizona
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1